Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 96

Thread: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trooper09 View Post
    You are right. I thought I read that the Core Duo wasn't a true dual core processor some time ago. This still does not mean the benchmarks used, took advantage of multiprocessing that is available.



    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...supported.html

    The article makes no mention if the benchmarks are taking advantage if multiprocessing is being used.
    My kernel is SMP by default on my T61 with an 8.04 install:
    Code:
    joshua@laptop:~$ uname -a
    Linux laptop 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 17:32:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trooper09 View Post
    You are right. I thought I read that the Core Duo wasn't a true dual core processor some time ago. This still does not mean the benchmarks used, took advantage of multiprocessing that is available.



    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...supported.html

    The article makes no mention if the benchmarks are taking advantage if multiprocessing is being used.
    PTS by design is written to utilize multithreading for applications that do support it. ie openSSL, compile tests, etc

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,727

    Default

    it doesn't matter what pts is written for, when the kernel is UP.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    it doesn't matter what pts is written for, when the kernel is UP.
    Is the default ubuntu kernel not SMP? Thought that was pretty much default on all distro's now.

  5. #55

    Default

    The kernel used was SMP supported.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Hi,

    A user at the german forum "www.ubuntuusers.de" did some tests with his Lenovo T60 (same hardware as the one in the Phoronix-test) on Ubuntu 8.10. His scores are dramatically better than the ones from the Phoronix test :

    LAME-MP3 : 60.62s

    OGG : 35.05s

    FLAC : 28.82s

    WAVPACK : 31.22s

    FFMPEG : 33.76s

    SQLITE : 24.21s

    SCIMARK (composite) : 290.28 Mflops

    Tandem-XML (write) : 54.22s

    How can it be that two systems with the same hard -and software got so different test results?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glasen View Post
    How can it be that two systems with the same hard -and software got so different test results?

    Must be because of language support

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuapurcell
    My kernel is SMP by default on my T61 with an 8.04 install:

    Code:
    joshua@laptop:~$ uname -a
    Linux laptop 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 17:32:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    I don't know... I am sorry if I am doubtful, but I typically use this command to ensure I have both core enabled:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The kernel used was SMP supported.
    There is a huge difference between supported and enabled.

  9. #59

    Default

    trooper09: I can assure you both cores were enabled and that cpuinfo reported both cores.

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glasen View Post
    How can it be that two systems with the same hard -and software got so different test results?
    There's a few possible reasons... Do you have a link to his post / information?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •