Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where all these tests run from the same part of the harddrive? Or did the distros have their own partitions? If so, Feisty would be faster if it was in the first partition, as disk access is quicker nearer to the centre of the disk.

Also this previous Phoronix article has different things to say about the performance between Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04 (especially lame):
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
    Last edited by Xanikseo; 28 October 2008, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thacrazze View Post
      The cause for the bad performance is the CFS (Completly Fair Scheduler), I think. It's standard since 2.6.23/24.

World of Warcraft on Wine lags terrible and freezes every some seconds since the introducing of CFS.

I hope OpenSolaris supports my hardware completly soon, so that I can change to this OS.
      Slowaris? don't fool yourself.

Comment

I am just wondering does a dual core CPU need SMP like a dual CPU system need it?
        I think it was the case but is it still the case?
        Last edited by shreg; 28 October 2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

yes it is. multicore is is the same as multi cpu. Just with a bit different packaging. If you have a bigger AMD system (like dual socket, quad core) you even need NUMA to take advantage of the hardware.

So without SMP support in the kernel one core would always lie dormant.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            So without SMP support in the kernel one core would always lie dormant.
            It's probably more accurate to say 1 core is active given that there are quadcores and such now.

Comment

Score on Distrowatch

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

With the release of Ubuntu 8.10 coming out later this week we decided to use this opportunity to explore how the performance of this desktop Linux operating system has evolved over the past few releases. We performed clean installations of Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 8.04, and Ubuntu 8.10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 notebook and used the Phoronix Test Suite to run 35 tests on each release that covered nine different areas of the system. After spending well more than 100 hours running these tests, the results are now available and our findings may very well surprise you.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13022
              If you can benchamark the other 4-5 distros, that will be great. I'm NOT sure if h/w vendors will be interested in this BUT it will be nice to see which h/w performs nice for all the distros. (Most h/w vendors will be interested in server customers rather than desktops because those customers are not too many.)

It will be nice if distrowatch will start putting down these benchmark numbers next to their ranking so people can decide how they want it. It will even be nice if there is an automatic way to do it on Amazon EC2. Meaning you could have a distro load into one of the 4/5 EC2 instances and see how well it performs on the benchmark and then publish it. (Although EC2 is geared up for server loads and so most of the GUI related benchmarks should NOT be run on it -- not sure if their virtual instances have any Graphics hardware)

BR,
              ~A

Comment

I cannot believe the report

Ubuntu RC released only at the midnight of 23rd that means 24th October, The report says they tested it for 100 Hrs, The test result publication time is 27th . How much ubuntu competitors paid for it.

see more in

SES, SEO, SEM, Linux and Microcontroller Help, News and Experience sharing Blog "My PIC Microcontroller Articles are moved to http://picmicrochip.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  As said in the article, Compiz was disabled.
                  Ahh man, I have to read the article text too? Just kidding, but OK I did miss that part... anyway, that's really interesting then. I wonder if it is the scheduler as some have speculated, or if the compiler makes that big a difference, or what? Those time differences are pretty large for quite a few apps.. I knew from the title that 8.10 was probably slower, but I was expecting a few %, not a drop like that .

Comment

Originally posted by panayara View Post
                    Ubuntu RC released only at the midnight of 23rd that means 24th October, The report says they tested it for 100 Hrs, The test result publication time is 27th . How much ubuntu competitors paid for it.
                    Before coming up with such a statement, did you take the time to think that not all testing had to begin after the RC was released? The Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, and 8.04 testing started earlier in the week and then when the 8.10 release candidate came out, that was tested.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I really think you should check your suite or repeat the test on a different machine.

Those LAME numbers can't be right and are not reproducible (plain encoding, not with the suite) on my machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X