Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVI Audio and custom resolutions on 9600 with new fglrx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help?

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
      Can anyone help?
      Not really, but have a couple of points.

If he wants hdmi audio I don't think any of the AGP cards have it - well the sapphires don't seem to.

With a CRT and working EDID it is possible to use a custom xorg.conf modeline with fglrx 8-10.

Comment

Can anyone help?
        You can try commenting out the Viewport 0 0 line and add in a mode line underneath that with the resolution you want in the screen section of your xorg.conf.

Code:
        Section "Screen"
                Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
                Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
                Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
                DefaultDepth     24
                SubSection "Display"
        #                Viewport   0 0
                        Depth     24
                       Modes "1360x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                EndSubSection
        EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
          Not really, but have a couple of points.

If he wants hdmi audio I don't think any of the AGP cards have it - well the sapphires don't seem to.

With a CRT and working EDID it is possible to use a custom xorg.conf modeline with fglrx 8-10.
          Yep, bridgman clarified the HDMI/DVI audio issue on the older cards. They simply don't have the audio section on the board to provide the output.

In this case we're using a digital connection to an LCD... DVI-D output to HDMI input on a Sony flat panel LCD television, native res 1366x768.

What is the difference in modeline configuration between an analog-connected display and a digital connection? Is there a guide anywhere on the web that explains the process?

Comment

Originally posted by octoberblu3 View Post
            You can try commenting out the Viewport 0 0 line and add in a mode line underneath that with the resolution you want in the screen section of your xorg.conf.

Code:
            Section "Screen"
                    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
                    Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
                    Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
                    DefaultDepth     24
                    SubSection "Display"
            #                Viewport   0 0
                            Depth     24
                           Modes "1360x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                    EndSubSection
            EndSection
            Thanks! That should come in very handy.

Thank you!

Comment

Yep, bridgman clarified the HDMI/DVI audio issue on the older cards. They simply don't have the audio section on the board to provide the output.
              It's not just the old cards, the AGP versions of the new cards don't seem to have them either.

In this case we're using a digital connection to an LCD... DVI-D output to HDMI input on a Sony flat panel LCD television, native res 1366x768.

What is the difference in modeline configuration between an analog-connected display and a digital connection? Is there a guide anywhere on the web that explains the process?
              I was just pointing out that fglrx will still pick up modes from xorg.conf if it wants to.

I guess it doesn't work for you because of the lack of edid, but have no way to test that.

I think cvt (an xorg util) should be able to generate a modeline for you that should work.

I wonder if radeon[hd] OSS drivers would work using xrandr to set the mode. If you are in a position to test post for help. (I have done it, but need to retry to remember how)

Comment

I started with the open driver, it did not cooperate with any of the modelines that I gave it.

Here's a weird one... I inserted modes in xorg.conf as mentioned above, and they all appeared in CCC except for 1360x768. The other modes were already being reported by EDID though, so maybe that's the difference. Any ideas?

Comment

I started with the open driver, it did not cooperate with any of the modelines that I gave it.

Here's a weird one... I inserted modes in xorg.conf as mentioned above, and they all appeared in CCC except for 1360x768. The other modes were already being reported by EDID though, so maybe that's the difference. Any ideas?
                  If edid is working you can -

grep Ranges /var/log/Xorg.0.log

which should show what the screen is capable of. You need to respect the V H and pix clock when you make the modeline.

Say 60Hz v is OK then do either
                  Code:
                  bash-3.2$ cvt 1360 768 60
                  # 1360x768 59.80 Hz (CVT) hsync: 47.72 kHz; pclk: 84.75 MHz
                  Modeline "1360x768_60.00"   84.75  1360 1432 1568 1776  768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
                   or
                  bash-3.2$ cvt -r 1360 768 60
                  # 1360x768 59.96 Hz (CVT) hsync: 47.37 kHz; pclk: 72.00 MHz
                  Modeline "1360x768R"   72.00  1360 1408 1440 1520  768 771 781 790 +hsync -vsync
                  Neither seems to give 60 exactly there is a third way using gtf rather than cvt, but I think gtf is more for CRTs (could be wrong).

Now you can paste the line you want into xorg.conf. I do it like below, there may be a simpler way. This works with xorg 7.2/all fglrx I've tested. I don't know if later xorgs are different.

Code:
                  Section "ServerLayout"
                          Identifier     "X.org Configured"
                          Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
                          InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
                          InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
                  EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                          Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
                          Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                          Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
                          Option      "DPMS" "true"
                          UseModes        "HD1920"
                  EndSection

Section "Modes"
                          Identifier "HD1920"
                          # 1920x1440 @ 50.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 74.10 kHz; pclk: 192.07 MHz
                          Modeline "1920x1440_50.00"  192.07  1920 2048 2256 2592  1440 1441 1444 1482  -HSync +Vsync
                  EndSection

Section "Screen"
                          Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
                          Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
                          Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
                          DefaultDepth     24
                          SubSection "Display"
                                  Viewport   0 0
                                  Depth     24
                                  Modes   "1920x1440_50.00"
                          EndSubSection
                  EndSection

Comment

Ok, this one is getting irritating. This damn Sony TV is driving me nuts.

Its only working display modes are 1080i (1920x540 @30), 720p (1280x720 @60), and 480p (640x480 @60). However, it only reports 1080i and 480p via EDID, the 720 mode is nowhere to be found.

The real frustration is that it refuses to actually display anything at 640x480. I can watch the BIOS post, which displays fine and indicates "480p" on the monitor, but as soon as Grub takes over, the display goes dark. Which makes no sense, because they are both text modes at (I thought) 640x480. Apparently there is something different between the two.

I'm unable to see anything at all until the start of X, which works if I'm running fglrx (defaults to the first reported mode at 1080i) but doesn't work at all if I'm running the radeon driver, which is odd. Once I'm up and running with fglrx, I can switch the display mode manually to 1280x720 in CCC, which looks much better and works well but stubbornly refuses to persist over a reboot. It doesn't look as good as it would at the native 1366x768, but apparently the engineers at Sony designed the thing to reject anything other than a few very specific input modes, including rejecting the native resolution of the panel.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Suggestions?
                    Last edited by Porter; 11 November 2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X