Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen corruption in Wine 3D apps (all Catalysts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen corruption in Wine 3D apps (all Catalysts)

I have been getting screen corruption problems with fglrx and Wine when running 3D applications (tested only on D3D), on OpenSUSE 11.0. The screen looks approximately like this:

This problem persists even after I went from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.1, also from Catalyst 8.8 to 8.10 (earlier versions won't install on OpenSUSE 11.0). I've found plenty of threads about this problem, yet nothing I tried worked. My xorg.conf looks like this:
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Strangely, there are two "Device" sections, is that good anyway?

Any possible working solutions? It seems that there are many theoretical suggestions in other threads, but I'm not sure if they work and if they are overall safe to use...

I saw that you put this up on the opensuse forums, it's actually a repeating issue with wine... which version of wine do you have? ( see the following code segment to be sure. )

Code:
    wine --version
    and the other issue, might be from running with desktop effects ( compiz fusion ) enabled.

Comment

try
      Code:
      aticonfig --initial --force
      as root this create a new xorg.conf and backup the old.

Comment

Dandel, currently I'm on Windows but I'm sure wine the latest version as I've just installed it from the Wine repository.
        Nille, what would this change? I already made aticonfig --initial when installing the drivers, why should forced xorg.conf update change anything?

On a side note, tested with OpenGL, D3D8 and D3D9 and still the same problem. Yet Unreal Tournament runs normally in "software rendering" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Nille, what would this change? I already made aticonfig --initial when installing the drivers, why should forced xorg.conf update change anything?
          Because u has two Driver, Monitor and Scrren Section one for radeonhd and one for the fglrx. Maybe the xserver has with this problems.

Can you post the xorg.log ?

Comment

Well, yes, that's odd, but if aticonfig --initial made this (this is a clean install of OpenSUSE and the drivers were installed today), so why would it fix the problem this time? But, of course, I could try that, yet I don't think it would help. Too bad the X server is so sensitive, if there is anything wrong in the conf file, it just refuses to run

And where is the log?
            EDIT: Ahh, seems to be in /var/log. I'll post it soon.
            Last edited by GreatEmerald; 24 October 2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

OK, so here is the Xorg.0.log file:
              Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Haven't tried the --force yet, the log might change after that.

Comment

Sorry for a triple post, but tried --force now. Yay, the X server started correctly But still the same problem. Wine 3D programs corrupt the screen, although I can hear the music (and also see the program, just that the screen is corrupted). Nothing changed...
                Here's the new Xorg.0.log:

And the new xorg.conf:

That file looks nice and clear to me now.

Comment

So, any suggestions? This is the main major problem that stops me from using Linux...

The latest Wine is not helping.

Currently, I've heard three ways to deal with these kind of problems:
                  1. Add a setting into xorg.conf.
                  2. Change some .so files to others.
                  3. Degrade the drivers.

For the first suggestion, I have no idea which ones I have to put in. For the second, I tried switching Mesa and FGLRX .so files, no effect. And the third is not an option as this happens in all Catalysts available...

Comment

I use the Radeon HD 3100 and Radeon X1900GT, and both don't have any artifacting, although it's also worth stating that i disable compiz fusion for now because it's known to cause problems with XVideo and OpenGL programs ( driver limitations )... anyways, humor me about the wine version, by trying that command... currently mine outputs...

Code:
                    wine-1.1.7

Comment

Working...
                    X