Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 Release Candidate Is Out

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 Release Candidate Is Out

With the final release of Ubuntu 8.10 (the Intrepid Ibex) coming out next Thursday, it's time for the one and only release candidate in the 8.10 series. Canonical's Steve Langasek has announced the 8.10 release candidates this afternoon for the Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and Mythbuntu editions. Ubuntu 8.10 ships with the Linux 2.6.27 kernel, X.Org 7.4, and GNOME 2.24...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did they fix the issue with browsing windows shares or are they going to bury their heads in the sand on another release?

Comment

I really hope they offer some .img files for quick and easy USB-key installs. My SD card (which acted as my /home) crapped out on me and left the Arch install on my Aspire One half-borked. Now'd be a great time to try out the netbook remix Ubuntu's got going on, but I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it!

Comment

The speed with which it booted up made me do a double-take.

Samba 3.2 should improve windows shares stuff, and yes, USB boot options are very much accommodated with this release.

Comment

Can anyone comment on how does Java work in this release?

I read on another place that it was improved... currently, I use my windows vm for java applets, because the ui and fonts are plain fugly in linux.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
            I really hope they offer some .img files for quick and easy USB-key installs. My SD card (which acted as my /home) crapped out on me and left the Arch install on my Aspire One half-borked. Now'd be a great time to try out the netbook remix Ubuntu's got going on, but I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it!
            Intrepid offers a tool to create a liveUSB disk from a LiveCD.
            It works as follows:
            - you boot the Intrepid LiveCD on a machine with USB support and a cdrom drive
            - you mount you usb disk
            - you go to System->Preferences->LiveUSB (or something of that sort, in any case it's fairly obvious which entry it is)
            - you then get to see an app that basically "copies" the liveCD to the usb drive (I said "copies" instead of copies because it should also take care of the MBR parts)
            - Et Voila! You now have a bootable liveUSB disk!

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            Can anyone comment on how does Java work in this release?

I read on another place that it was improved... currently, I use my windows vm for java applets, because the ui and fonts are plain fugly in linux.
            The default java in 8.10 is OpenJDK, which is also partly developed, and supported, by Sun. I've already run some nontrivial apps on it, and it works fine (Except for the 64 bit version of Eclipse Ganymede, which keeps crashing on a 64 bit Lenny/Sid machine :s )
            Last edited by JeanPaul145; 24 October 2008, 08:22 AM. Reason: typo's

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
              The speed with which it booted up made me do a double-take.

Samba 3.2 should improve windows shares stuff, and yes, USB boot options are very much accommodated with this release.
              This was an issue with the new untested gvfs replacement they switched to with the last version of gnome (not samba). I'm going to try the new RC today. Such a joke.
              Last edited by Hohlraum; 24 October 2008, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
                The default java in 8.10 is OpenJDK, which is also partly developed, and supported, by Sun. I've already run some nontrivial apps on it, and it works fine (Except for the 64 bit version of Eclipse Ganymede, which keeps crashing on a 64 bit Lenny/Sid machine :s )
                For everyone trying to do some home banking, this may be a bit of a pain. Most banks I've seen demands the signed Sun version of Java to be able to run. Another problem is the web plugin, but that's a problem because Sun has not created a 64-bit version yet (AFAIK), Ubuntu has nothing to do with that.

Will this Release Candidate be similar to the final version? How does one upgrade from RC1 to final? Is it just a quick edit to sources.list ?

Comment

Originally posted by bell View Post
                  For everyone trying to do some home banking, this may be a bit of a pain. Most banks I've seen demands the signed Sun version of Java to be able to run. Another problem is the web plugin, but that's a problem because Sun has not created a 64-bit version yet (AFAIK), Ubuntu has nothing to do with that.

Will this Release Candidate be similar to the final version? How does one upgrade from RC1 to final? Is it just a quick edit to sources.list ?
                  The rc is most definitely _NOT_ equal to the final, since there are still updates make to the repository (The latest batch this morning).

Also, the java bug might well be in eclipse, since ganymede also crashes on the official Sun jdk on that 64 bit Lenny/Sid machine

Comment

Working...
                  X