Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what Blender is...
    A 3D editor: http://www.blender.org/

@rohcQaH: Thanks for your answers. My box runs pretty cool so I am sure I can handle a graphics card like the HD4650 or HD4670. The reason I replaced all my coolers with bigger Zalman fans and heatsinks isn't because of heat but because of noise. Bigger fans can usually rotate slower and still provide the same amount of airflow :-)

IMHO the most noisy parts of a computer are the small cheap plastic fans. They tend to rattle after a while. The noisiest cricket I had was the tiny northbridge fan so I replaced it with a heatsink. Now the noisiest thing is the small fan cooling my Nvidia 6600GT.

Comment

I know my card, the 2400 is in the low end market, it has the R610 chip, but runs Blender really well in windowed mode. In full screen, which goes across both screens, it does a little "jump" when the curser crosses one its windows, really annoying, but I can Gimp in one window and Blend with the other. Cannot give a lot in the tech spec stuff, but I know it works ... Oh and the Ubuntu is 64bit.

Another tip, don't run Compiz when your Blending, the R6xx do seem to have an issue refreshing and flicking when running 3D apps over the top of Compiz.

Hope this helps refine what your after.

Comment

@Sepius: I don't think that problem is specific to the R6xx. I've seen the same problem on my laptop with Intel 945 and on with current Nvidia 6600GT card. I think it's something between Compiz and Blender in general. I've edited my .desktop files for Blender so `metacity --replace` is run before Blender is started, and `compiz --replace` is run after it finishes.

Comment

Thanks Sander Menchal, that is a neat trick, I'll do that. Probably Best not to run compiz while Blending anyway.

By the way, the 2400 does not have a fan, so very quiet. That is the other reason I got it. I have one big fan in the back of my Cooler Master case and it sits next to me on the desk and is very quiet. It has a VGA and DVI with an adapter. It sits in my back room, unairconditioned and we have 30deg days, never crashed.
          Last edited by Sepius; 11 November 2008, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X