Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware Xorg 7.2

Hi,

I have Slackware 11.0 and recently upgraded my Xorg to 7.2. I cannot run the ati installer as I used to. Instead I get this error:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux
    Driver-8.34.8...
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
    X Server: Unknown X Window

Detected version of X does not have a matching 'x720' directory
    You may override the detected version using the following syntax:
    X_VERSION=<xdir> ./ati-driver-installer-<ver>-<arch>.run [--install]

The following values may be used for <xdir>:
    x430 XFree86 4.3.x
    x430_64a XFree86 4.3.x 64-bit
    x680 X.Org 6.8.x
    x680_64a X.Org 6.8.x 64-bit
    x690 X.Org 6.9.x
    x690_64a X.Org 6.9.x 64-bit
    x700 X.Org 7.0.x
    x700_64a X.Org 7.0.x 64-bit
    x710 Unknown X Window
    x710_64a Unknown X Window

Using --listpkg shows no support for creating Slackware packages. What is wrong here? How can I install the driver?

Thanks,
    Peter

Welcome to the forums.

Anything newer than X.org 6.8 is rather dirty with the graphical installer and doesn't really work.

I don't use Slackware, but I know some others on these forums do so they may be able to comment on their install or package process.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi Michael,

I guess I am out of luck then. Any idea if the graphical installer will be cleaned up anytime soon, or do I need to downgrade back to Xorg 6.9. I have a X800 AIW and because of the lack of tv tuner support, wanted to try and get video input to work but was under the impression you need Xorg version 7.1 or newer. I'll google some more, but if need be then I'll just have to downgrade.

Thanks,
      Peter

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Welcome to the forums.

Anything newer than X.org 6.8 is rather dirty with the graphical installer and doesn't really work.

I don't use Slackware, but I know some others on these forums do so they may be able to comment on their install or package process.

Comment

I know it's possible to install the fglrx drivers on Slackware, but I am just not sure of the instructions off hand.

The installer will not receive an overhaul for a while.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The 800 aiw's capture part still doesn't work with the fglrx drivers, so don't use the fglrx driver, use the open source radeon driver instead, which under xorg 7.2 should give you 3d acceleration.

Now, for the AIW part, there is a hack available, but for this hack to work you'll need to have your x800AIW working under windows, so that you can steel 1 file from windows and configure-it on your Slackware installation.

The following link is for a Ubuntu, but you should be able to get it working under slackware. I you can't, say so and I'll try to give you more help: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273291

Comment

I gave up and reverted back to X.org 6.9. I know of no other way to get the fglrx drivers installed other than the graphical install (no package support for Slackware). I tried the radeon driver but could not get it to work right (EE) RADEON(0): mmap mmio: Invalid argument showed up and it turns out that the advice for the tuner support Option "UseFBDev" "true" causes this so it must be set to false. At this point I have the xorg I want (latest 7.2), no fglrx driver and a flaky radeon driver that can't support the tv input module.

After switching back and rolling back the changes to enable 7.2 the ati driver installed fine and I'm back right where I started

I think I have been looking forever to get the AIW features to work in Lnux but its safe to say it probably never will. Sadly I also have a SoundBlaster X-Fi card that is useless in Linux, so tv tuner and sound card are only good in my XP boot.

Thanks anyway, maybe someday Creative will actually release the closed source sound driver they promised almost a year ago and I'll at least have one out of two working.

Peter

Originally posted by glussier View Post
            The 800 aiw's capture part still doesn't work with the fglrx drivers, so don't use the fglrx driver, use the open source radeon driver instead, which under xorg 7.2 should give you 3d acceleration.

Now, for the AIW part, there is a hack available, but for this hack to work you'll need to have your x800AIW working under windows, so that you can steel 1 file from windows and configure-it on your Slackware installation.

The following link is for a Ubuntu, but you should be able to get it working under slackware. I you can't, say so and I'll try to give you more help: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273291

Comment

I reverted back to xorg 6.9 due to all the problems I had trying to get things working. In my case the radeon driver was having problems too, and the only reason I would want to use this driver is to get the tv tuner working, but sadly the "All-In-Wonder" part of my card is only good in my other OS WinXP (how Wonder-ful).

Thanks anyway, I'll just stick with 6.9 where I at least can have acceptable 3D support.

Peter

Originally posted by glussier View Post

Comment

Working...
              X