No announcement yet.

The UVD/UVD2 thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently tried The Nightmare Before Christmas 1080p x264 and boy I was almost brought to tears. Made me wonder, why did I completely switch to linux ever :'(

This is soooooooo unfair and I hate the situation that I'm in.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    2. "Real soon now"
    Is that only for R700 and above?

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
      Is that only for R700 and above?
      2. "Real soon now" state for 780/790 - render acceleration done by GPU via Xv, decode done by CPU

Nope, Xv implementation should be more or less simultaneous for 6xx and 7xx. Both require the 3D engine, but programming model for the 3D engine on 6xx and 7xx are pretty similar (even if the underlying hardware is significantly different).
      Test signature

Comment

So no GPU render acceleration below R600 ?

Comment

Video render acceleration (Xv) is already there for ASICs up to R5xx and RS690. It's only GPUs with the new 3D engine (6xx, 7xx, RS780/790) where work still needs to be done.
          Test signature

Comment

Yeah certainly, when I played that 1080p was a matter of deceleration

Comment

Remember that there are several levels of "video acceleration" to think about :

1. Current state for 780/790- shadowfb only, render done by CPU, decode done by CPU

2. "Real soon now" state for 780/790 - render acceleration done by GPU via Xv, decode done by CPU

3. Possible next step -- render acceleration done by GPU via Xv, motion comp portion of decode acceleration done by GPU, remaining decode acceleration done on CPU. Probably need extensions to XvMC in order to handle odd block sizes for H.264/VC-1.

4. Remaining decode done on GPU, possibly on UVD/UVD2

The point here is that step 2 will go a long way to reducing CPU overhead and that is already in the works.

Waiting for #2 for some time now .

This would be great in my htpc. Hope the driver wil be compatible with MythTV... *snip*

Comment

Knowing how I watch videos on my R500, hold you breath of excitement

Comment

well but was this meant to be about opensource drivers or fglrx??

I would like to know how to use it with latest catalyst, and if I can use it! (I'm on a M76 )

Comment

We were talking about open source, but you're right this was an fglrx thread.

AFAIK we have not announced any UVD support for Catalyst yet. Xv (render acceleration) is already supported, of course.
                    Test signature

Comment

We were talking about open source, but you're right this was an fglrx thread.

AFAIK we have not announced any UVD support for Catalyst yet. Xv (render acceleration) is already supported, of course.
                      exactly what I was thinking... so are there rumors that XvMC can be backported to UVD 1 ?

Comment

Working...
                      X