Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
    but in AES there are known flaws!
    I read the section about cracking AES you read. The first one if I understood just related to factorization which is hard unless someone starts building powerful quantum computers. While my German lacks, I'd say for relative certainty that the German Wiki page says that the second approach is purely theoretical.
    I might quote this thing from English Wikipedia page on timing attack which the Wiki page you talked of mentioned as the latest approach on the problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_attack
    "Timing attacks are easier to mount if the adversary knows the internals of the hardware implementation, and even more so, the crypto system in use. Since cryptographic security should never depend on the obscurity of either (see security through obscurity, specifically both Shannon's Maxim and Kerchoff's Law), resistance to timing attacks should not either. If nothing else, an exemplar can be purchased and reverse engineered. Timing attacks and other side-channel attacks may also be useful in identifying, or possibly reverse-engineering, a cryptographic algorithm used by some device."
    Meaning someone would need to purposefully reverse-engineer the AMD security implementation to get absolute certainty that the cracking would actually work indefinitely.
    This seems to be one of the reasons for why AMD is so cautious about giving out full hardware specifications of their cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It's a good thing most companies require strong passwords these days, so users write their passwords down on yellow sticky notes or leave them in clear-text files on the PC.
      Btw, I expect you are aware of the fact that if there is indeed even a fraction of organized crime behind piracy like media industry claims, someone will eventually reverse-engineer the cards no matter how well the information is guarded.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Btw, I expect you are aware of the fact that if there is indeed even a fraction of organized crime behind piracy like media industry claims, someone will eventually reverse-engineer the cards no matter how well the information is guarded.
        I agree completely. If we thought that cracking the graphics card DRM implementation was a viable approach for content piracy we probably would not have been able to provide much support for open source driver development in the first place. If you want to pirate protected media content there are easier ways to do it.
        Test signature

Comment

• Hey guys, for cracking a code for accessing a system, the best way ever made is still to grab a gun and respectfully ask for the password !

I'm kiding, but not so much. Kevin MITNICK said that the best way ever made was simply to phone and simply ask the password, letting the user believe that it's an IT support call and the password must be confirmed for checking purposes (or any other story that seems true to the employee)...

Comment

Working...
          X