The UVD/UVD2 thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think you want VideoOverlay off and TexturedVideo on.
    Thanks for reply.
    I'm pretty sure I've already tried all the
    Code:
    "VideoOverlay"
    "OpenGLOverlay"
    "TexturedVideo"
    combinations with no noticeable difference.

As coming back to Windows is not an option (and video decoding is perfect under Win), could you plz tell do you have any concrete plans on bringing UVD2 support to Linux or should I just get real and move to nvidia + intel?

Comment

That doesn't seem likely; you would notice a pretty big difference when the GPU was doing the back-end processing, whether it be thorough Xv with TexturedVideo or through GL. Have you tried playback through gl, btw ?

I can't really comment on specific plans for things we haven't released, sorry.
      Test signature

Comment

It's sad, so sad
        It's a sad, sad situation
        And it's getting more and more absurd

You were right, TexturedVideo mode is faster (still not fast enough on 4850e to decode a fullhd movie).
        Do I get it right that for HD3200 + fglrx 8.561 the best combination is
        Code:
        Option      "VideoOverlay" "off"
        #       Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "on" //this doesn't matter
                Option      "TexturedVideo" "on"
        Now, the real issue is that even SD content is jerky when screen resolution is set to 1920*1080 and plays just fine on 720p. Seems like memory bus saturation in action?

Comment

Those options sound right.

I'm surprised you are getting jerky playback at 1920x1080; the 780 should be fast enough to scale SD up to 1080 smoothly. The memory bus probably is the weakest link but I don't think we should be hitting the limits yet. Is the SD video MPEG2 or H.264 ?

I'll try to find a 780 system I can play with here. What are you using for player and decoder ?
          Test signature

Comment

bridgman
            Well, I don't remember having any troubles with any resolution under XP (esp. given that the ram config is 1gb *4).
            The SD video is h.264/mpeg4 played with xbmc (+ffmpeg).
            Here's what I've been experiencing with 1920*1080 screen resolution:

Switching to 720p reduces the number of dropped frames down to 0.

Comment

Was UVD2 support backported to old UVD?

If I'm not wrong, my M76 (mobility radeon HD2600) should be equipped with UVD, but if I grep the Xorg log...

Code:
              ben@Obi-Wan ~ $ grep UVD /var/log/Xorg.0.log
              (II) fglrx(0): UVD2 feature is available

well... obviously I couldn't manage it to work.... but this i surprising

Comment

Originally posted by gsmd View Post
                Here's what I've been experiencing with 1920*1080 screen resolution
                CPU utilization was pretty low there but I imagine that was snapped after the video finished playing.

What is the CPU utilization like while playing the SD video scaled up to 1920x1080 ?
                Test signature

Comment

bridgman
                  That was snapped during video playback (~ 4 mins from the start) upscaled to 1080p. Again, no dropped frames playing the same video upscaled to 720p.

Here's HD downscaled to 720p:

Still jerky, but somewhat acceptable (snapped around the middle of the movie). Switching screen resolution to 1080p causes the same effects it does to SD: the thing becomes unwatchable.

Comment

Very interesting... so with the SD video the CPU utilization was very low and you were still dropping frames. I'll see if we can repro that in house.
                    Test signature

Comment

Alex ran a quick test on a 780 mobo scaling SD video up to 1920x1200 using the just-released open source Xv code for 6xx/7xx in radeonhd. The video scaled up smoothly with no apparent dropped frames, so I don't think we've got a hardware limit here. It probably wasn't the same player/decoder stack and I know it wasn't the same video, but the CPU util was low enough that I don't think it would matter. Stay tuned.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 21 January 2009, 11:17 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X