Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best driver for HD2600pro/Ubuntu8.04/XBMC (oct 6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best driver for HD2600pro/Ubuntu8.04/XBMC (oct 6)

Hi.

I have problems with tearing when watching movies inside XBMC. I use the default drivers in ubuntu 8.04 if that says anything (Not Catalyst).

GPU: ATI HD2600pro via DVI/HDMI adapter, 1m HDMI, to panasonic TH-42PH70 (native 1024x768, but scales very well at 1280x720p)
    Mediacentre: XBMC 0ct 6 release for linux

I plan to use 720p. My cpu is a X2 4600+.

So... what will be the best fit, Catalyst-wise, for me? (what version?).

I`m pretty new to linux, so if you know of a guide, please lead me in the right direction! (if not, I`m sure google will do its best)

DrE

Originally posted by DrErling View Post
    Hi.

I have problems with tearing when watching movies inside XBMC. I use the default drivers in ubuntu 8.04 if that says anything (Not Catalyst).

GPU: ATI HD2600pro via DVI/HDMI adapter, 1m HDMI, to panasonic TH-42PH70 (native 1024x768, but scales very well at 1280x720p)
    Mediacentre: XBMC 0ct 6 release for linux

I plan to use 720p. My cpu is a X2 4600+.

So... what will be the best fit, Catalyst-wise, for me? (what version?).

I`m pretty new to linux, so if you know of a guide, please lead me in the right direction! (if not, I`m sure google will do its best)

DrE
    It doesn't matter what settings you have, with the current ATI drivers you will experience tearing. It's a known issue that people have been screaming to get fixed for a while now.

Comment

I think newer versions of "radeon" should have the vsync stuff in it, follow the instructions in the "open source ATI" subforum to get the current git version running. Your CPU should be able to decode anything you throw at it

Comment

Nope, the radeon driver has no vsync capability, nor any kind of acceleration for HD2xxx+.

fglrx does have vsynced OpenGL, however, so if you use Xine with the OpenGl output, that might work best.
        Last edited by TechMage89; 21 October 2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Ahh yes, I did some more looking around the forums, and apparently the vsync support in radeon is a branch that isn't being merged into the main driver because it blocks the X server until every vsync.

Comment

Working...
          X