Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-intel 2.4.98 Test Driver

Phoronix: xf86-video-intel 2.4.97 Test Driver

The xf86-video-intel 2.4.97 driver was released back in August as the first test-release for the 2.5.0 driver series. Some of the proposed changes for this quarterly update to Intel's open-source X.Org graphics driver include usable EXA support, GEM integration, kernel mode-setting support, video tearing fixes, and plenty of bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't the title of the article a bit wrong? Should not be:

xf86-video-intel 2.4.98 Test Driver

or

xf86-video-intel 2.5 RC 2 Test Driver

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
      Isn't the title of the article a bit wrong? Should not be:

xf86-video-intel 2.4.98 Test Driver

or

xf86-video-intel 2.5 RC 2 Test Driver
      Doh, yeah. It's fixed. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No matter what kind of new fancy memory manager or acceleration architecture they use, their graphics hardware SUCKS the balls.

I've tried the modern G33 graphics and compiz+textured xv slows like a piece of CRAP. How can I use it while it is slow like a piece of CRAP?

I gave up on intel's graphics. Currently I am a sole supporter of ATI's graphics. The R500 open source 3D works, and R600/R700 soon follow. With this kind of functionality paired up with ATI's far superior hardware, what not to love?

Sigh

Comment

Hi Michael

Hi Michael, i have a couple of questions that you may be able to help me with.

Forgive my ignorance, but i have never owned anything with intel integrated graphics before, but i am now considering buying a lenovo netbook.

1. is this driver tied to x-server releases, i.e. decembers release of x-server 1.6 will contain the new 2.5 intel driver?
          2. if it can be released standalone, is it likely that it would be included in the december release of opensuse 11.1?
          3. will this new driver upgrade the features and perfomance of the GMA950 GPU as used in netbooks, or is all the development work now concentrated on the X3100/X4500 generation GPU's?

Many thanks

Comment

1. I don't think it depends on Xorg schedule
            2. It should be included, yes
            3. I think they update older hardware, too, but I can't confirm that by myself

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              No matter what kind of new fancy memory manager or acceleration architecture they use, their graphics hardware SUCKS the balls.

I've tried the modern G33 graphics and compiz+textured xv slows like a piece of CRAP. How can I use it while it is slow like a piece of CRAP?

I gave up on intel's graphics. Currently I am a sole supporter of ATI's graphics. The R500 open source 3D works, and R600/R700 soon follow. With this kind of functionality paired up with ATI's far superior hardware, what not to love?

Sigh
              It's not the hardware, it's drivers. For example, my GMA 950 ran Vista's Aero interface at 1024x768 with videos playing and still didn't lag. That is why all this work is being done, to bring the UNIX drivers up to par with the Windows ones.

Intel graphics are not designed with performance in mind. They are designed to use as little power as possible. For notebook users, that is a blessing.

I would hold off on passing judgment until GEM, DRI2, KMS, and all these other new bits of code stabilize.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                1. I don't think it depends on Xorg schedule
                2. It should be included, yes
                3. I think they update older hardware, too, but I can't confirm that by myself
                cheers for the answers.

i can only hope that this new driver will allow an atom netbook to run the kwin cube effect while playing an avi.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
                  cheers for the answers.

i can only hope that this new driver will allow an atom netbook to run the kwin cube effect while playing an avi.
                  It will update older hardware, but you're not going to see the best results unless the following conditions are met:

1. xserver-1.6
                  2. linux-2.6.28
                  3. xf86-video-intel-2.5.0

All three of these have yet to be released. They can all be expected by the new year, except for XServer, who's release seems to always be delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                    It will update older hardware, but you're not going to see the best results unless the following conditions are met:

1. xserver-1.6
                    2. linux-2.6.28
                    3. xf86-video-intel-2.5.0

All three of these have yet to be released. They can all be expected by the new year, except for XServer, who's release seems to always be delayed.
                    1. Oh god
                    2. Oh my god
                    3. Oh my freaking god!

Conclusion: 1 year more waiting couldn't be enough

Comment

Working...
                    X