Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    (re: hitscan)

Uh... I'd not heard the term before and I've been at doing game dev for a bit now.
    This says more about an apparent lack of familiarity with FPS on your part than it does about "hitscan" supposedly not being widely used.

You prove the exception obviously, but any FPS player knows what hitscan is. Lightning Gun, Rail Gun, most "bullet" firing guns in about any game (especially older ones) save stuff like Armed Assault or Stalker. It's stuff that isn't projectile based, which is to say not rockets, plasma balls, grenades or balistically modelled bullets that you have to lead with. And people in this thread are not making up that meaning for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan <- altar of immutable truth

Hitscan attacks hit or miss their target the very moment the attack is launched, and therefore cannot be dodged. All melee and bullet attacks work like this; there are no projectiles involved, invisible or otherwise. Melee attacks have a range of 64 units and bullet attacks have a range of 2048 units. Melee attacks are monster and weapon specific, but the damage done by a single bullet is a fixed (though randomized) value. The damage caused by a ranged hitscan attack only varies (excluding the r

But what the hell am I posting links for? Google is available to anyone.
    Last edited by MamiyaOtaru; 12 March 2009, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
      This says more about an apparent lack of familiarity with FPS on your part than it does about "hitscan" supposedly not being widely used.
      The point I was making was that while it might be "commonly" used, not everyone lurks in the forums in the FPS crowd, etc. and it might have been something that might not have been used as a term around at least some of the people.

To imply that "everybody" knows it is bogus- including YOUR implication thereof.

And to claim that I'm unfamiliar with FPS' is mildly entertaining. Amongst other things, I did device driver development work alongside John Carmack back in the Utah-GLX driver era and I play quite a few FPS'- I just don't hang out with the fan crowd all that much and I've never heard a dev use the term before.

Comment

• Good News:

...since I imagine that the notice of mailing list software change will
        spark a (well deserved) round of complaints--after all, I have been
        largely absent from this list despite the cries for updates--I just
        wanted to drop a note and say that the UT3 linux and mac work is still
        ongoing. Largely we're just optimizing and fixing annoying bugs at the
        moment.

No release date at the moment. Yes, I know we're already 16 months late.
        I'm sorry, we'll get you the game as soon as we can.

Thanks for your eternal patience,
        --ryan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin View Post
          Good News:
          I'm not sure how good that news is. It is good that they intend to eventually release it. Epic has burned a whole lot of bridges with their mishandling of the situation. I remember how pissed off I got at Bioware after only a month of no client after going out and purchasing a copy of NWN on release day.

Fortunately I've gotten wiser with age so I generally don't purchase something based on promised support. That being said, before this I would've listed Epic as a game developer that I trusted. Now--not so much.

I'm one of those people who think ut99 was probably the best CTF multiplayer game ever made, and have been loyal to the franchise up until now, so I'll probably still buy the game whenever linux binaries are available. I just think the entire situation has been handled horribly and given the linux community's backlash, I wonder if this is the last of the franchise that we'll see on linux.

Comment

• I'm glad about every linux client. Sure, Epic has failed to keep to their promises and they even failed in delivering a superb fast-paced next generation shooter, but in my opinion it's a good sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post

You prove the exception obviously, but any FPS player knows what hitscan is. Lightning Gun, Rail Gun, most "bullet" firing guns in about any game (especially older ones) save stuff like Armed Assault or Stalker. It's stuff that isn't projectile based, which is to say not rockets, plasma balls, grenades or balistically modelled bullets that you have to lead with. And people in this thread are not making up that meaning for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan <- altar of immutable truth

Hitscan attacks hit or miss their target the very moment the attack is launched, and therefore cannot be dodged. All melee and bullet attacks work like this; there are no projectiles involved, invisible or otherwise. Melee attacks have a range of 64 units and bullet attacks have a range of 2048 units. Melee attacks are monster and weapon specific, but the damage done by a single bullet is a fixed (though randomized) value. The damage caused by a ranged hitscan attack only varies (excluding the r

But what the hell am I posting links for? Google is available to anyone.
              Umm I have been playing FPS since back in the Amiga days and I have never heard of Hitscan...

Comment

• Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                I'm not sure how good that news is. It is good that they intend to eventually release it. Epic has burned a whole lot of bridges with their mishandling of the situation. I remember how pissed off I got at Bioware after only a month of no client after going out and purchasing a copy of NWN on release day.
                Even then Bioware handled that so much more gracefully with regular status updates.

Comment

• Maybe icculus is working on many things at once and he wasn't as contractually in a hurry for UT 3 as for others (I am guessing according to his impressive list of ports from his resume). Whenever the port is gonna come, I'm happy and I just wish for top notch porting quality, i.e. achievable highest quality settings on Linux and bug-free play.

Comment

• Originally posted by geamandura View Post
                    Maybe icculus is working on many things at once and he wasn't as contractually in a hurry for UT 3 as for others (I am guessing according to his impressive list of ports from his resume). Whenever the port is gonna come, I'm happy and I just wish for top notch porting quality, i.e. achievable highest quality settings on Linux and bug-free play.
                    Same here, the time it has taken is like a very bad movie but i hope as well that they take a little more time and release a quality port, after all what is the point of rushing it now after so long. at least this is an update....

Comment

• Originally posted by geamandura View Post
                      Maybe icculus is working on many things at once and he wasn't as contractually in a hurry for UT 3 as for others (I am guessing according to his impressive list of ports from his resume). Whenever the port is gonna come, I'm happy and I just wish for top notch porting quality, i.e. achievable highest quality settings on Linux and bug-free play.
                      Ryan's a busy guy. Heh... I don't do half as much as he does and I'm busy myself.

Odds on, when the middleware fubar occurred, things pretty much went to hell in a handbasket on him and Epic. In this case, it's not that Ryan's incapable- typically, the man could sort out a mess like this in a couple of months' time if he was doing it as paid work and was fully focusing on it... This delay's...unusual for him and I don't think it's really in his court on this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X