When Will UT3 For Linux Be Released?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Soviet Russia, Epic Games play you.

In all seriousness I feel like I've been played. Won't happen again. Goodbye Epic, welcome to my hated vendors list.

Comment

I feel cheated. Back when I bought UT2003 and UT2004 was launched, I knew of the discount reading some webpage, but it was a mere 10 USA dollars, not available for Europe, where I had paid 50 euros for the game! That "discount" was a public relations move, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanner View Post
        Me too. I mailed my rebate back to epic with no return address & just a note to let them know I was proud to support a linux game publisher. Over the next few years UT2004 was the game that just kept giving, with free updates & new content far beyond any reasonable expectation of that game's lifetime. Native 64-bit binary too (thanks ryan).

What a contrast to the situation today! A textbook study in how to dump all over your most loyal customers. That said I would rather wait 12 months for another UT release than some geriatric LGP port that I have to beg permission to play once I've bought it.
        That's the ticket. Put me down on that list, too.

Except... well... UT3 had been crashing for a long time thanks to Creative and ATi drivers (and a hardware incompatibility I discovered that ~1% of X-Fi owners have. Yay! :/)... needless to say, UT3 isn't the most enjoyable game for me to play anymore. Thanks a lot Windows :/ At least games run proper on Linux. Man, if only we could like fuse the good parts of the two platforms together... gaming performance, the vast hardware support and game library of Windows with the stability, "low-resourceness" and flexibility of Linux... mmmm...

anyway, any game on Linux is a case of "better late than never."

Comment

Originally posted by downhillgames View Post
          Man, if only we could like fuse the good parts of the two platforms together... gaming performance, the vast hardware support and game library of Windows with the stability, "low-resourceness" and flexibility of Linux... mmmm...
          Save for display adapters and a few notable exceptions on WiFi that're getting resolved, we HAVE better hardware support than Windows has. We support most of what XP does (Keep in mind, that support's going to go the way of the dodo in a year or two and only Vista will be there...) and definitely support more stuff better than Vista.

The only real thing Windows has over Linux is the game base.

Comment

Michael, could you suppress the word "when" from the thread's title?

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
              Michael, could you suppress the word "when" from the thread's title?
              Heh... They say it will ship, it probably will.

Will it matter to us? Possibly not.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                The only real thing Windows has over Linux is the game base.
                Well, there are other area's that it is lacking in as well. There are many pieces of hardware in linux you are limited to basic features of the hardware and lose out on some of the more advanced functions. Software wise in some categories your pretty limited in your choices as well (ie 3d rendering and modeling, cad, multimedia creation, etc) and what choices there are can be extremely limited in their capabilities.

Comment

I was indeed looking after UT3, until I discovered Tee Worlds :-P

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Well, there are other area's that it is lacking in as well. There are many pieces of hardware in linux you are limited to basic features of the hardware and lose out on some of the more advanced functions. Software wise in some categories your pretty limited in your choices as well (ie 3d rendering and modeling, cad, multimedia creation, etc) and what choices there are can be extremely limited in their capabilities.
                    But it wins by miles when it gets to development, application integration and 64-bit architectures ( NO... W64 just plain SUX! ). The problem with the lacking drivers is also due to black-box hardware manufacturers refuse to give out the specs or like (crap-)intel producing crappy drivers ( I'm looking at you sucking wifi adapter in my laptop ) thinking they do any good with it ( and for those not in the know: NO! you ruin things with it U.=.U ). Granted ATI plays a well share in this drama too. You don't want to know the heap of driver bugs ( from opengl programming point of view ) I just stumbled across in the last couple of weeks trying to get my engine running on a recent ATI card. So the real problems are the stubborn manufacturers not giving one finger to the Linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                      But it wins by miles when it gets to development, application integration and 64-bit architectures ( NO... W64 just plain SUX! ). The problem with the lacking drivers is also due to black-box hardware manufacturers refuse to give out the specs or like (crap-)intel producing crappy drivers ( I'm looking at you sucking wifi adapter in my laptop ) thinking they do any good with it ( and for those not in the know: NO! you ruin things with it U.=.U ). Granted ATI plays a well share in this drama too. You don't want to know the heap of driver bugs ( from opengl programming point of view ) I just stumbled across in the last couple of weeks trying to get my engine running on a recent ATI card. So the real problems are the stubborn manufacturers not giving one finger to the Linux community.
                      Whatever the reasons are, I was just pointing out that gaming is not the only thing lacking in linux. All OS's have their strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Working...
                      X