Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets 'n' Guns Enters Beta On Linux

Phoronix: Jets 'n' Guns Enters Beta On Linux

A week ago we shared that Linux Game Publishing, the company that has ported games to Linux such as Cold War and X2: The Threat, was bringing Jets 'n' Guns to Linux. Just a week later this 2D side-scrolling arcade game is now being distributed to LGP's closed testing community. We have our hands on the first beta of Jets 'n' Guns for Linux and in this article are a few screenshots.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Back in June we broke the news that LGP was introducing Linux game copy protection for their future titles. This Internet-based DRM protectionhad enraged many users, but Linux Game Publishing felt it was a necessity with very high rates of pirating of their ported Linux games.
    And I'm willing to bet it will be cracked and uploaded on your favorite P2P in < a day. It would be hilarious if the patch was opensourced.
    Last edited by deanjo; 17 October 2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Jets 'n' Guns Enters Beta On Linux

As far as I am concerned you are wasting your time and space talking about anything that LGP puts out. I use linux to get away from the DRM shit not to further complicate my life. I will never purchase any game from anyone regardless of platform that requires me to enter in a password, product key, or any other lame scheme on the internet in order just to play a damn game. I buy the game to enjoy myself not to get aggravated! I have no problems with buying an application and I have no problem with having to enter in a serial number at install time in order to use the application. I however feel strongly that LGP is pissing up a slack rope with their current DRM policy. I wish them luck, I was looking forward to getting the port of X2 but after finding out about their DRM plans they can stick it in their ear. I for one will never become a customer of theirs even if they decided today to ditch the DRM stuff. I will just continue to dual boot and use my copy on Windows which I find to be extremely amusing as it does not have this sort of DRM crap.

Comment

I do not mind a game checking if it is a legal copy. What I do not like are games that install DRM software that mess with your system and have processes that run in the background regardless if you are playing the game or not.

Comment

You forgot something and this is that game distributors nowadays are hard looking on that DRM stuff. Linux is not directly known in "this" scene as being buy-friendly since the missbelief that free software means free as in not-charging way hence they do not simply grant comps like LGP "drm free usage" of those just like this. Sort of feeding the dogs until a better solution is around.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            And I'm willing to bet it will be cracked and uploaded on your favorite P2P in < a day. It would be hilarious if the patch was opensourced.
            No need. Windows versions available on p2p work perfectly on wine.

Which is convenient, because it let me figure out I don't like the game. I play the touhou (東方) series of danmaku shmup games instead.

Comment

It's funny how LGP threads turn into DRM cryfest. You people have beef with LGP for DRM, write to them. Call them. Take their names and kick their arses. Try to pitch to them that DRM harms instead of helps. At least I don't think they deal with this like EA's "98.2% of game owners are not affected by DRM". This forums gets tiresome to read through when all you DRM haters just pile on post after post about it. Posts that don't decrease chances of DRM being removed. Do what can make the most impact. Contact LGP and let them know.

Don't put the heat on Michael for posting stuff like this because he's still putting out content that other readers may be interested in. That's what he does. He previews beta stuff and game releases. Give him at least a pat on the back for doing his job.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                It's funny how LGP threads turn into DRM cryfest. You people have beef with LGP for DRM, write to them. Call them. Take their names and kick their arses. Try to pitch to them that DRM harms instead of helps. At least I don't think they deal with this like EA's "98.2% of game owners are not affected by DRM". This forums gets tiresome to read through when all you DRM haters just pile on post after post about it. Posts that don't decrease chances of DRM being removed. Do what can make the most impact. Contact LGP and let them know.
                Reps from LGP do exist here. Thus why people gripe here, simple as that.

Don't put the heat on Michael for posting stuff like this because he's still putting out content that other readers may be interested in. That's what he does. He previews beta stuff and game releases. Give him at least a pat on the back for doing his job.
                I don't see anybody putting "heat" on Michael at all about DRM. In fact it's probably quite the opposite as it made people aware of the issue, It's a hell of a lot better to find out before purchasing the game and going "WTF?!?!?".

Comment

I have already done that

I have already done that, I contacted them and let them know the reason I was not going to purchase X2 and gave them some other methods of validating you had a legal copy vs. having to be connected to the internet each time you wanted to play. They do not seem to care that they have lost a lot of sales because of their method of validating legal copies. I for one want all this to be accomplished at installation time and I don't care if I have to activate the software along with having a legal serial number or software key. My post was not necessarily about the DRM issues in general only to inform Phoronix why it was and is a wast of time even posting articles about any products that LPG puts out.

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post

Comment

Reps from LGP do exist here. Thus why people gripe here, simple as that.
                    We'll disagree here because really, even if LGP does lurk here, I doubt they'll do anything about it. Perhaps if people feel they need to grieve about DRM, we should round it all up into a thread where they can vent instead of mucking up all the threads. If it ever had such a reality changing effect, you'd see the Linux/Mac threads on forums like Bioware's produce Linux ports, and that's already right on their backyards!

All I plead is that we can sort of get through these threads without people mucking it up with DRM rant on a thread about Jets n' Guns. I for one am relatively surprised to see the screenshots of the title.

I don't see anybody putting "heat" on Michael at all about DRM. In fact it's probably quite the opposite as it made people aware of the issue, It's a hell of a lot better to find out before purchasing the game and going "WTF?!?!?".
                    DRM news has been out there for quite some time now. People are aware of the issue. This is just another one of those posts going 'We hate LGP for putting DRM'. We know that already. Tell us something we don't know. It's not productive talk. It's just angry people agreeing with each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X