Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, Catalyst 8.10 Is Out There

Phoronix: Yes, Catalyst 8.10 Is Out There

Yesterday we reported on Canonical shipping an unreleased ATI Catalyst driver with the forthcoming release of Ubuntu 8.10. This driver labeled fglrx 8.54.3 adds support for X Server 1.5 / X.Org 7.4 and the Linux 2.6.27 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have to say, I must give a boo for this move. It is long past time to support xserver 1.5, and distributing a different version of the driver to Ubuntu than everyone else is not very nice.

ATI needs to get their act together with fglrx and offer customers a decent level of support, not continually falling behind with needed updates and ignoring rampant bugs.

Comment

As a _Fedora_ 9 user who had to manually downgrade his X server to Fedora 8 (gah!) to get fglrx installed so his dual-head would work, and has been waiting for X Server 1.5 support, BOOOOOO ATI!!

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
        As a _Fedora_ 9 user who had to manually downgrade his X server to Fedora 8 (gah!) to get fglrx installed so his dual-head would work, and has been waiting for X Server 1.5 support, BOOOOOO ATI!!
        fedora is meant to be a development platform, not something you should use for productive work. And Ati just treats it like that.

Use Ubuntu

Comment

Not a particularly respectworthy move by AMD. But who knows. Maybe they bring out a halloween special, including tearing-free video playback, support for the new XServer and free candy.

Comment

The realease notes are there!

Comment

fedora 9? the fglrx devels run rhel 4.7 or 5.2 or sled 10 i guess (from the look of their release notes). nope, not debian lenny (or sarge with xfree 4.3 ).

Comment

I am experiencing poor performance with the new driver.

Glxgears gives me about half the frames of 8.9 and I also get corruption on fullscreen 3d apps,not just wine but native as well.

My card is the igp 3200HD
                Last edited by nstamoul0; 17 October 2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I just upgraded from 8.7 drivers to the 8.10 drivers. I downloaded the 8.10 from AMD official site.

Can't really notice much difference only thing maybe is that video playback is a little better can now play my 1280x720 videos lag or stutter free. But that could have been fixed whit some other updates that I did just before I updated to 8.10 though. (was a long list in the update manager, so...)

Didn't break or improve my compiz functionality and I still get blinking/flashing video when in window mode but the workaround I had from before gives at least non-flashing video in full screen whit compiz going.
                  Still get video tearing like BADLY.. (using mplayer whit Xv)

I have the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev1.1 whit HD3200 graphics, Phenom X4 9750 and 2x2Gb 800Mhz 4.4.4.12 memory whit Ubuntu 8.04 64bit.

glxgears give alot less fps but as I know it isn't a real bench in any way. I don't have any games installed or the like so can't test such how they work.

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthog View Post
                    glxgears give alot less fps but as I know it isn't a real bench in any way. I don't have any games installed or the like so can't test such how they work.
                    *cough* Phoronix Test Suite *cough*

Comment

Working...
                    X