No announcement yet.

ATI Catalyst 8.10 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is performance with Xorg 1.5? Especially EXA accel and compositing?

Comment

I have installed the 8.10 driver on MythBuntu 8.04 with kernel 2.6.24.19-generic. It builds and installs fine, but starting the computer with the new driver results in a black screen. This after some resolution changes in the monitor (Samsung LCD tv through HDMI) It settles on 640x480 through VESA, but the screen remains black. Before with 8.9 it correctly set output to 1920x1080 through EDID. The output had to be corrected for overscan, but it did work.

8.10 is much worse for me then 8.9, so I just reverted bsck. I have workarounds for almost all issues, except for the displaying of TV through mythtv. This gives garbled output when changing channels.

8.10 is disappointing sofar.

Hans

Comment

I think that the only reason there is 8.10 driver is the 'one driver every month'-policy. This 8.10 driver seems to be just 8.9 with some quick fixes to justify new driver and amd has really been working on something like 8.11 with support for new xorg and kernel. If some driver version has planned features that can't be done in less than month, driver team just puts out something like 8.10 to keep amd's driver policy going while they are all the time (for longer period of time) developing the "real" driver update.

This is how I see things.
        Last edited by Petteri; 17 October 2008, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Petteri View Post
          I think that the only reason there is 8.10 driver is the 'one driver every month'-policy. This 8.10 driver seems to be just 8.9 with some quick fixes to justify new driver and amd has really been working on something like 8.11 with support for new xorg and kernel. If some driver version has planned features that can't be done in less than month, driver team just puts out something like 8.10 to keep amd's driver policy going while they are all the time (for longer period of time) developing the "real" driver update.

This is how I see things.
          If I remember an article about how the amd driver development occurs, basically yes. An "old" code path is kept before any major changes, and is used until the changes are ready for release. There's an article somewhere on phoronix which explains how it all goes.

Here it is:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=735&num=1
          Last edited by mirv; 17 October 2008, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I'm starting to HATE Ubuntu for the same reasons I hate Windows.

Seriously.
            good third party software support and beginner friendlieness?

Comment

Anyone else have a problem with aticonfig segfaulting. Every time i try "sudo aticonfig --initial" I get a segfault. Never had this before.

Even tried removing everything fglrx after uninstalling previous driver using "find" command

If I reboot Xserver gives me a VESA driver. 8.9 worked fine apart from flickering 3d when using compositing (to be fair this is unlikely to be fixed until DRI2 as ATI APPEAR (?) to follow the protocols and not write their own versions of xserver parts- correct me if I'm wrong)

Running Ubuntu Hardy 8-04. Latest updates. Radeon Mobility 9600 (M10)

Comment

You can use my script - it works with xserver 1.4.2 directly. No aticonfig tool needed, it can directly use the xorg.conf created by

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

(you can even remove all xorg.conf* files and run that the reconfigure command then execute the script)

run in vt1 (ctrl-alt-f1):

Comment

I said Xine(Xine-UI)! Not Kaffeine! Kaffeine could not load xxmc driver even with nvidia cards that could play XvMC video in the past here!

And NOT XV but XXMC.

Comment

I have now Test the New Driver with Ubuntu Hardy and Intrepid and on Both Systems the Driver runs fine for me.

XvMC has no Problem ( now i can Play 1080p *.* and 720 with CnQ on the lowest Multi (200x5) )
                    Last edited by Nille; 20 October 2008, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Um I just want to say... I did have a few hitches in installation, but I think they were very specific to my circumstances... However, if you like compiz, this driver in 8.10 ubuntu is the way to go... I mean I have compiz settings really turned up, and it works, completely, and utterly, perfectly. My framerate never drops below my refreshrate (60hz).

Mipmaps work and everything... WTF JUST HAPPENED. I like it... even if it was a little unstable at first.

Comment

Working...
                      X