Canonical Publishes ATI Catalyst 8.10 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirza View Post
    so I wonder why they maintain 2 versions instead of having one (open), just like Intel?
    The way I understand it, AMD/ATI are worried that their closed-source driver has code in it that reveals tricks about what the silicon is actually doing. They can release full documentation/APIs for the hardware, but knowing exactly how to squeeze the most performance out of a card isn't always obvious from a datasheet, and AMD think that revealing exactly how their driver works will help competitors learn how the hardware is put together.

From what bridgman's said, they do release example code along with documentation, so that example code is probably from fglrx. But I agree that the closed-source driver shouldn't be necessary in the long term

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-LVNH View Post
      Hello everyone, is there a way gentoo users can have that "hotfix" version of the 8.10 driver release ?, because i can not find it, can someone write the URL for the package of the "hotfix" for Ubuntu for 64 Bit ?, so i can extract the binary parts and place them by hand on my system, thanks by the way.

For dependencies, you're on your own.

Comment

Just gave the Ubuntu version a test on video playback. Still is b0rked. Only output mode that has no tearing is still X11. GL/XV remains unusable.

Comment

I don't notice any tearing or other artifacts when using VLC in Xv on my HD3870. CPU is down around 10% - 15%

GL crashes when the source goes to wide-aspect ratio (i.e., plays the the FBI warning and the duplicator's logo but crashes when it tries to open the file with the main program).

I wonder what's really in repository as opposed to installed by Ubuntu's restricted device manager. From X.org.log:

(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
          (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
          compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.54.3
          Module class: X.Org Video Driver
          (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
          (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.54.3
          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: UNSUPPORTED-8.543.2
          (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Oct 10 2008 21:37:39
          (WW) This ATI Proprietary Linux Driver does not guarantee support of video driver ABI higher than 2.0
          (WW) Video driver ABI version of the X server is 4.1

Comment

Well, I've installed the 8.10 from ubuntu repos, but there's something wrong with the performance here. On q3 i get 70fps on my HD4850 :x I've tried to install the driver manually, but I've failed ;-)

Comment

Built on Fc9/x86_64, using a little hot-wiring and the ubuntu orig file
              But cannot load module.

fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
              [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1886 MBytes.
              [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 9440 count: 1
              [fglrx] ioport: bar 4, base 0xa000, size: 0x100
              ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APC3] enabled at IRQ 18
              pci 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APC3] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
              pci 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
              [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
              [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_stub_register failed

Comment

8.10 on amd's website

Driver seems to be posted now at http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ux-radeon.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                  Well, I've installed the 8.10 from ubuntu repos, but there's something wrong with the performance here. On q3 i get 70fps on my HD4850 :x I've tried to install the driver manually, but I've failed ;-)
                  Maybe something related to vsync? With my 3850 I get 140fps in timedemo demo1 at 1680x1050 with AA4x and AF8x (IIRC, amdcccle segfaults with 8.10 so I can't check :P).

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
                    Maybe something related to vsync? With my 3850 I get 140fps in timedemo demo1 at 1680x1050 with AA4x and AF8x (IIRC, amdcccle segfaults with 8.10 so I can't check :P).
                    Not really, cause I've checked that first. The other thing, quake wars are terrible in menu i get like 15-20 fps, feels really crappy. But when i want to connect to any server i get seg fault so something is really not right with the driver ;x

Atleast i can read temp ;-)

There is an update for the fglrx now, I hope it will fix my issues ;x

EDIT :

well, I've found why I get so poor performance :/ Control Center reports that my OpenGL is mesa, not the ATI. Also CCC version is 1.0, not the 2.1 or smth like that

Anyone got something similar ? or Ideas how to fix it ?
                    Last edited by Tares; 17 October 2008, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Flickering, flickering, flickering... Mobility X1600 256 MB DDR3 !!!!!!!!!!!!

AMD, I want to be absolutely clear, THIS IS THE LAST CARD I SPENT MONEY FOR till you make some REAL progress with your your BUGGY, LAGGY, FLICKERING drivers (both OPENSOURCE an' CLOSESOURCE). ))))))))))))))))))

Last edited by Xtigyro; 17 October 2008, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X