No announcement yet.

Assorted performance issues with EAH4870X2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have indeed. I was using 1.1.7 previously (1.1.8 wouldn't compile, for some reason). I'm using the 8.10 ATi driver (8.11 hasn't made it into gentoo's package list yet).

Comment

May I ask what's wrong with the cedega version of Eve? I tried it with fglrx on my x1650 long ago when it first came out, and it worked just fine if I remember correctly.

Comment

As I said: the cedega version will not run on either machine. I had a support ticket open with CCP since, oh, July sometime. They finally closed it with something along the lines of, "well, we have no clue why it won't run. Try the forum!" Even when it did run, it was only on classic, and the sound froze constantly.

Cedega's software is terrible, and very unstable on 64-bit. Most games run better under wine these days, EVE included.

EDIT: Also, I spoke too soon: the 8.11 driver is now in the gentoo repository, and fails to compile with the following:

Code:
         * Building fgl_glxgears
        In file included from fgl_glxgears.c:70:
        /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2/work/common/usr/include/GL/glATI.h:3153:1:
        warning: "GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3" redefined
        In file included from /usr/include/GL/gl.h:2150,
                         from /usr/include/GL/glu.h:38,
                         from fgl_glxgears.c:59:
        /usr/include/GL/glext.h:6606:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
        definition
        /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
        cannot find -lGL
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
         * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 failed.
         * Call stack:
         *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
         *             environment, line 3287:  Called die
         * The specific snippet of code:
         *       "$(tc-getCC)" -o fgl_glxgears ${CFLAGS} ${LDFLAGS} -DUSE_GLU
        -I"${S}"/common/usr/include fgl_glxgears.c -lGL -lGLU -lX11 -lm || die
        "fgl_glxgears build failed";
         *  The die message:
         *   fgl_glxgears build failed
         * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if
        relevant.
         * A complete build log is located at
        '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2/temp/build.log'.
         * The ebuild environment file is located at
        '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2/temp/environment'.

>>> Failed to emerge x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2, Log file:
        This may be a problem with gentoo, so don't worry about it here. I mention it only to explain that I may take a day or two to get the 8.11 driver installed.

Thanks again,

EE
        Last edited by ExecutorElassus; 23 November 2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Hello EE.

I'd met the same problem too. This is how I fix it:
          Code:
          # rm /usr/lib32/libGL.so
          # rm /usr/lib64/libGL.so
          # eselect opengl set xorg-x11
          # emerge ati-driver
          # eselect opengl set ati
          When gentoo try to install the latest ati-driver-8.552-r2. It temporalily set the OpenGL interface back to xorg-x11.But there are 2 empty symbolic links in the system so it fails to set it properly.That's why it can't find libGL when building ati-driver.I don't know why this is happening but it do exists.

Hope this helps.

Comment

and ... lo! X works! Thanks octapult. Okay, so now I'm running xorg-1.5.2, with the 8.11 driver. Now, hopefully, I can tweak wine to get EVE to work...

Comment

Also, I might also mention that video playback using the opengl driver is now broken. Using it with the xine backend causes a black-screen hard crash; using smplayer just causes no playback.

glxgears still runs okay, so this may or may not be related.

Anyway: I'd still like to know what tweaks might be necessary to get EVE running on this machine.

Thanks,

EE

Comment

*bump*

Hi bridgman. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

So, the latest update of wine (1.1.0) no longer runs on my laptop, and the only other version Ubuntu lets me install is 1.0.1 (which doesn't work well, either). Rather than beating my head against my laptop, I thought I'd try back with the desktop.

I copied the dx9d3d_35 and _36 files (or whatever they're called for DirectX), as well as the directX 10 dll. This does not help. The only message I get in the console is the following:

Code:
                $ wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/eve.exe
                err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
                err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
                fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
                That doesn't seem to mean much of anything. Can you then provide me some guidance on how to get this working? Is there any debug channel I should run, to give you some help?

Thanks again. I really hope we can get this working, because now I'm stuck with a badly malfunctioning EVE.

Thanks,

EE

Comment

Thanks. We actually do Thanksgiving a month or so earlier because our growing season is so much shorter up here in the Great White North, but we got lots of work done while the US offices were closed

The first two messages look very Wine/DX-specific - guessing it can't find some MS file. Those long hex strings look like Windows GUIDs, so that's probably something you'll need Wine experts for.

The last message looks to be advisory, like it isn't finding the right sound drivers for the audio controller on the 6xx/7xx card and so isn't setting up audio there. Are you using HDMI out on the card, and if so do you have audio working on it ?
                  Last edited by bridgman; 08 December 2008, 07:11 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

I do not use HDMI on the card: I actually don't even use DVI. I have a DVI-to-VGA adapter, and it's going analog into the monitor.

I guess I'll start asking the wine devs, too. I really wish I had a clue what's going on here. Is there anything else I can do from your perspective that might help here?

Thanks,

EE

Comment

OK, then I think you can probably ignore the last message.

For what it's worth, the other two messages sound pretty generic, ie the kind of problems that any user might run into not just one with a specific hw/sw configuration.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X