No announcement yet.

Assorted performance issues with EAH4870X2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you think it is time that this bug should be fixed without any crappy Virtual override?

Comment

The problem is believed to be fixed as of a month or two ago. The posts I mentioned were talking about both current drivers and patched versions of older drivers and were not clear about which driver the problem was seen on.

I just mentioned this to the OP as something to be aware of "just in case".
      Test signature

Comment

Hi bridgman,

I did some digging. The NV_VAR and ARB_VBO are both disabled in wine, which I have done. Disabling occlusion queries takes place in EVE, which does not run. I've been reading a lot of horror stories about the 8.10 driver; is it possible that this driver simply won't work rendering 3D acceleration with this card yet? Should I wait for the next driver?

Thanks,

EE

Comment

Huh. I have a bit mor output, which I only get if I run as root. running 'wine /path/to/eve/eve.exe' gives me this:

Code:
          # wine Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/eve.exe
          err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
          err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
          fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
          err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx8.D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_36.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_36.dll", try using the native one instead.
          err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx9_36.D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_35.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_35.dll", try using the native one instead.
          err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx8.D3DXIntersectTri' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_36.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_36.dll", try using the native one instead.
          err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx9_36.D3DXIntersectTri' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_35.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_35.dll", try using the native one instead.
          err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx8.D3DXQuaternionSquadSetup' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_36.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_36.dll", try using the native one instead.
          err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'd3dx9_36.D3DXQuaternionSquadSetup' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\d3dx9_35.dll". If you are using builtin L"d3dx9_35.dll", try using the native one instead.
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 16 vertex samplers and 16 total samplers
          fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
          fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33af94,0x00000000), stub!
          fixme:d3d:test_pbo_functionality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from Loading the PBO test texture
           @ directx.c / 3795
          fixme:d3dx8:ID3DXMatrixStackImpl_LoadIdentity (0x1422d0) : stub
          fixme:d3dx8:ID3DXMatrixStackImpl_LoadIdentity (0x1422e8) : stub
          fixme:d3dx8:ID3DXMatrixStackImpl_LoadIdentity (0x142300) : stub
          fixme:d3dx8:ID3DXMatrixStackImpl_LoadIdentity (0x1417c8) : stub
          domo-kun drive_c # fixme:d3dx8:ID3DXMatrixStackImpl_LoadIdentity (0x1422d0) : stub
          fixme:d3dx8:ID3DXMatrixStackImpl_GetTop (0x1422d0) : stub
          wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x2b40949 (thread 0019), starting debugger...
          err:seh:setup_exception_record nested exception on signal stack in thread 0019 eip 7efc0750 esp 7ffdbc7c stack 0x242000-0x340000
          Incidentally, the files d3dx9_35 and _36 I deleted from those locations.

So, perhaps I have a mis-configured wine conf file somehow? Or is wine somehow mis-communicating with the driver?

Thanks for the help,

EE

Comment

So, I've installed the new EVE client, completely deleted my .wine directory, installed the new wine, and completely reinstalled EVE. I can now get to the opening screen. I think those dll errors came from running wine as root while not in my root's home directory. However, there are now no models (the new opening screen has several rendered models). When I log in, it freezes at the "Entering Station" popup, and the program ExeFile.exe runs at 100% CPU.

I can only conclude that this means direct rendering is failing. I can run this game at 15fps in Premium on my laptop, which (as I've said) is way less powerful, but sports an nVidia chipset. This is the only meaningful difference between the two systems.

Can the devs (bridgman?) tell me of any other way I can get this working, other than buying an nVidia card? This is my first experience with an ATi card; it's been a bit disappointing, to say the least.

Thanks,

EE

Comment

I didn't see any obvious pattern of problems from searching around. I did notice a few comments that :

- Eve developers don't support or code for ATI boards yet
              - "premium" doesn't seem to work
              - happy users seemed to be generally running HD4xxx cards

What hardware are you running, and are there any interesting messages in the logs ?
              Test signature

Comment

Hi brigdman,

thanks for the reply. Curses upon CCP (who runs EVE-Online)! Along with not supporting ATi, they also don't support running EVE under wine at all, so the only support I get on that is in the forum (their cedega client won't run on either machine).

Which hardware would you like to know? The vid card is an Asus EAH4870x2, which uses the Radeon HD 4870 chips. My entire hardware setup (using lspci) is as follows:

Code:
                00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RD790 Northbridge only dual slot PCI-e_GFX and HT3 K8 part
                00:02.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port A)
                00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port B)
                00:12.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
                00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0)
                00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1)
                00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2)
                00:13.3 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3)
                00:13.4 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4)
                00:13.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
                00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
                00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE
                00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
                00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
                00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
                00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
                00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
                00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
                00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
                01:00.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. Device 8647 (rev ab)
                02:04.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. Device 8647 (rev ab)
                02:08.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. Device 8647 (rev ab)
                03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9441
                03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio
                04:00.0 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9441
                05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
                06:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev c0)
                The mobo is an MSI K9A2v2, which uses mostly ATi hardware (as you can see above). Which logs would you like? For wine, I'll have to figure out how to output its error output into a file. The only thing I see much of in the terminal are openGL errors such as the ones I got running as root (the bits about "GL_INVALID_OPERATION" etc.).

In any case, I'll go post to the EVE forum as well, despite what poor luck I've had with them in the past.

Thanks again,

EE

Comment

If you have a 4870x2 that's good news since the people who were running successfully on Linux seemed to mostly have 46xx or 48xx boards.

The GL error messages are probably a good clue. Do you happen to know if EVE uses DX or OpenGL calls ? Wine has to translate DX calls into OpenGL calls anyways on linux but I think your options for tweaking the system vary depending on whether the app starts with DX or OpenGL.
                  Test signature

Comment

Hi bridgman,

Yes, EVE is a DirectX game, unfortunately. They use native Windows calls for a lot of the game, which is part of the reason it doesn't run well on other systems (the in-game browser, for example, calls IE; this was only usable in wine since wine-1.0).

There used to be two dll files that had to be called in as native overrides in wine's registry; this is apparently no longer necessary (according to the wineDB page here). My user.reg, of course, has those added lines; please let me know if there are other tweaks to try.

Thanks again,

EE

Comment

Which version of Wine are you using? Have you tried upgrading to 1.1.9?

Comment

Working...
                      X