Ubuntu 8.10 R500 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 R500 3D

I thought 8.10 was supposed to have Mesa with the R500 3D work? It still doesn't work for me (it was working before when I manually had the mesa r500 branch installed). Here is what I get from glxinfo, which is the same as what I got with stock 8.04. I have an x1400. This is with stock everything, radeon driver.

$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 5.3.0 r300 (screen 0)
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r300_dri.so
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
    drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
    unknown chip id 0x7145, can't guess.

do you have the "ati" driver specified in xorg.conf? I know for me it automatically chose the radeonhd driver and I had to change it.

Comment

I don't have a driver specified in my xorg.conf. Some more info:

$ dmesg |grep radeon
      [ 30.460742] [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528 on minor 0
      elenius@elenius-laptop:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.
      Xorg.0.log Xorg.0.log.old Xorg.9.log

$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep radeon
      (II) Matched radeon from file name radeon.ids
      (==) Matched radeon for the autoconfigured driver
      (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so
      (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

Comment

If 3D doesn't work out of the box for you in Intrepid, please file a bug on Launchpad, and attach your log files there.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
          If 3D doesn't work out of the box for you in Intrepid, please file a bug on Launchpad, and attach your log files there.
          I found the problem. The libGL.so symlink was pointing to an old libGL version from an old manual compile/install. It works as it should now

While I'm at it, a couple of questions:

1) Should I use EXA or XAA? It seems to work equally well with both.
          2) What is the status of "no video tearing" on this? I get sort of diagonal tearing in video playback.

Comment

Tearing alas, is still there. My understanding is that it's supposed to get solved with DRI2.

EXA ought to be faster, but some versions of the xserver have bugs that make it *slower.* I'm not sure what version of the xserver ubuntu ships, but if there's no noticeable performance difference, use EXA because it's better maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
              Tearing alas, is still there. My understanding is that it's supposed to get solved with DRI2.
              Not sure.. DRI2 will is aimed to solve Video/3D flickering, when Compositing is ON.

I'm not sure that many times complained "diagonal video tearing" is the same issue..

A question to the topic starter: do you experience video tearing issue, when Desktop Effects are OFF?

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
              EXA ought to be faster, but some versions of the xserver have bugs that make it *slower.* I'm not sure what version of the xserver ubuntu ships, but if there's no noticeable performance difference, use EXA because it's better maintained.
              In Interpid, there is X.Org 7.4.

Comment

Working...
              X