780g issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallace,

I agree that it is still rubbish, just better than before. I did buy an NVidia card in frustration. I cannot suggest anything for KDE4, but maybe three things for Gnome

1 rename xorg.conf to xorg.conf.old and run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" then run aticonfig --initial and NOTHING else. use VLC for video playback and play with the video options (for me xv gives smooth playback). I still get stuttering playback with xine, but VLC is smooth. I only have a LE1600 single core CPU.

2 In Kaffeine set video output to xshm for TV watching. I do not use MythTV anymore but if it uses xine then it will be a problem (I cannot remember)

3 Get the latest radeonhd from the git repository and compile and install. 2d runs smoothly, and video plays without stutter (on my intel machine - I did not try with the 780g). One test I have is k3b. With fglrx you can see the initial screen draw as the color runs down. With Nvidia you cannot see this as it is instant. With the latest radeonhd it is instant as well.

Finally I go back to my initial post, buy a $30 Nvidia board. Uninstall fglrx and install nvidia-glx and all of your frustrations and moustache will evaporate in an instant. Use the dpkg-reconfigure command to clean up xorg after the change. And KDE4 will work as well! You can always go back to the on-board video in six months time. I have a 680g motherboard as well, been waiting a year for good drivers. I ended up using it with XP for an office machine for my wife.

I was not being frivolous a cheap nvidia is the solution. With nvidia you can run compiz - run a video in a window - grab the title bar and wobble the window - and the video will jump around but still keep playing smoothly, fglrx can only dream of this sort of capability.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
      Finally I go back to my initial post, buy a $30 Nvidia board. Uninstall fglrx and install nvidia-glx and all of your frustrations and moustache will evaporate in an instant.
      Seems to be the solution for pretty much everybody with a ATI IGP board.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
        Wallace,

2 In Kaffeine set video output to xshm for TV watching. I do not use MythTV anymore but if it uses xine then it will be a problem (I cannot remember)

3 Get the latest radeonhd from the git repository and compile and install.
        It is kind of funny. Way back (catalyst 8.4 and maybe different configuration) I could not get xv to work but opengl worked OK in xine. x11 or xshm worked OK too on lower settings. I made some change (maybe added an xv package - can't remember). Now xv works but opengl stutters.

I think you can change settings in mythtv to choose viewer. Mine is using mplayer and working fairly well.

Some people and the amd person sometimes recommend running no pat. I haven't ever tried that but might.

radeonhd still not working well on 780g. Works a little better with rgb but poorly on hdmi. Exiting X and back to cli still has major problems.

Comment

@grege i think i'll opt for an nvidia budget card then. Hopefully it will work well, as there seem to be driver problems too (especially with kde4 unfortunately). But hey, that's life, no?

xvinfo gives the right output btw, doesn't really work though

thank you for your help, everbody, and good luck to us lost people!

Comment

Hello!

I hope you can understand my English ;-). OK, it seams so that I have a similar problem. The Board is the GA-MA78G-DS3H with the 780G Chip.

There are 3 weeks ago I have run the tvtime with Xv and Catalyst 8.9 without any problems. That was with Kernel 2.6.26.3 and with this I get not running my lirc and LCD. So I update to Kernel 2.6.27 and Catalyst 8.10. With the Kernel I change to 64 bit and I get a lot of trouble to get the fglrx to run. But now it "works".

There are some errors in the log-file and I find no solution for this in the internet. The point is that the Xv for the tvtime doesn't work any more. I find that crazy!

I have grap the errors form the Xorg: grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Code:
            (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize ASIC in kernel.
            (EE) fglrx(0): [pcie] Failed to gather memory of size 261120Kb for PCIe. Error (-1007)
            (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
            (EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.
            (EE) fglrx(0): PPLIB: PPLIB is not initialized!.
            (EE) fglrx(0): PPLIB: swlPPLibNotifyEventToPPLib() failed!
            (EE) fglrx(0):        ulEventType = 0000000c, ulEventData = 00000001
            In the internet I found verry old problems about this. One solution of the first error wars to write in the xorg.conf the BusID with PCI 1:0:0 or something. That wars not the problem. The second with the memory shut be a BIOS setting for sharing the RAM. But I couldn't found this setting in the BIOS. I try it with a xorg.conf option but this didn't work.

Has somebody any idea to solve this problems. Maybe I get the Xv running if this problems solved.

thanks at all

manticore

Comment

manticore

Only Ubuntu have an 8.10 that will work with a 2.6.27 kernel, the one from AMD is still limited to 2.6.26 and xorg 1.4

I installed the Ubuntu Intrepid beta om my media machine and then installed the fglrx driver through the restricted drivers applet. It works fairly well for me. I stuck to 32 bit to avoid issues with windows codecs and flash. The machine runs well enough though not as good a picture as using an Nvidia board in the PCIe slot. Again - VLC seems to work better than xine, mplayer seems OK, I use the Gnome-Mplayer front end.

If you are not using Ubuntu one solution is to get the Ubuntu deb and extract the files from it and copy them over the ones you have installed. This is a bit tricky but elsewhere on Phoronix someone reported success.

good luck
              Last edited by grege; 18 October 2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Hi grege,

thank you for your informations. I found the patch for the Catalyst 8.10 and Kernel 2.6.27 from Ubuntu. But I change the system back to 32 bit and it works now. Great!

If somebody need help or don't find this patch, than contact me with the message bord. I will put than all information about it in this thread.

Bye

manticore

Comment

Originally posted by wallace View Post
                  @grege i think i'll opt for an nvidia budget card then. Hopefully it will work well, as there seem to be driver problems too (especially with kde4 unfortunately). But hey, that's life, no?

xvinfo gives the right output btw, doesn't really work though

thank you for your help, everbody, and good luck to us lost people!
                  To everyone who goes down this track make sure you uninstall fglrx before you put in the nvidia board. The fglrx installation creates symbolic links that must be removed prior to installing nvidia-glx. For manual installs it is easiest to install any old fglrx from the repositories than uninstall it to restore everything to default. I also rename xorg.conf and run dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg as root to generate a clean xorg.conf.

bye....

Comment

Working...
                  X