Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnash, The FSF Flash Player, Gets Updated

Phoronix: Gnash, The FSF Flash Player, Gets Updated

Announced early this morning was the release of Gnash 0.8.4, which is the third beta release for this Free Software Foundation sponsored project. Gnash aims to become a viable open-source Adobe Flash / SWF Player for Linux and related platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm excited for them, really... an original product leading Linux into the future with the ability to power browser based and offline RIA's, amazing content, and etc...

Comment

As long as there's no 64 bit version of Flash, I'm considering Gnash.

Comment

Honestly, as long as an lgpled application (swfdec) is performing on par or better than gnash, I don't see the point of developing the gpled library. It goes against the FSFs stated policy.

Personally I prefer more liberal licenses, because they promote efficient use of a common set of code, and prevent continuous re-inventing of the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
          Personally I prefer more liberal licenses, because they promote efficient use of a common set of code, and prevent continuous re-inventing of the wheel.
          Actually, that's opposite thinking.

Any changes I make to a BSD based codebase (a more liberally licensed codebase...) can and will end up in a proprietary product without the deltas to the original codebase propagating back to the same.

It happens all over the place and a more liberal license won't make it work more efficiently than something like the GPL or LGPL.

Comment

I understand the philosophy of copyleft licenses, but I think that some things should be free for people who for various reasons are unable to release their work under the GPL, as well. In some cases, (gtk+ for example) the LGPL does a good job of filling the job, but in other cases, I think that a BSD license is better.

It's a matter of preference, but what I'm saying is that if two libraries exist that do the same thing, the continued existence of the one with the less liberal license doesn't make much sense, unless it does something much better, since the same functionality is already available under a more liberal license.

Comment

Anybody have a recent opinion on which player works best in 64-bit for youtube and brightcove sites like slatev.com?

I last tried swfdec 0.6.x and gnash 0.7.x and neither worked better than flash 9 under nspluginwrapper. I also tried the 2nd beta for flash 10 and it didn't work at all under nspluginwrapper for me.

Comment

Just compiled it, and noticed "Save" and "Save As..." in the right click menu.

Will these save the video in e.g. a gametrailers.com flash? or will they save the player?

It would be so cool, if it was the video it could save! =)

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post
                  Anybody have a recent opinion on which player works best in 64-bit for youtube and brightcove sites like slatev.com?

I last tried swfdec 0.6.x and gnash 0.7.x and neither worked better than flash 9 under nspluginwrapper. I also tried the 2nd beta for flash 10 and it didn't work at all under nspluginwrapper for me.
                  I'm currently running a 64 bit Fedora 9 installation using swfdec, and after installing some "bad" gstreamer plugins (I think it was ffmpeg), it now works like a charme, didn't run into any major problems yet (here and there some very minor glitches but who cares) and youtube works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                  X