Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD 1.2.2 & 1.2.3 Drivers Released

Phoronix: RadeonHD 1.2.2 & 1.2.3 Drivers Released

The last release of the xf86-video-radeonhd driver was version 1.2.1 and that happened back in April. Since then we have seen a plethora of new work go into this open-source ATI driver for the Radeon R500 series and later. We've seen the driver add support for AMD's 780G Chipset and most notably it has adopted AtomBIOS to be used on the Radeon HD 4800 series and newer. There have also been numerous other improvements to this driver that currently competes with the xf86-video-ati driver. With much of this work now being settled, the Novell development team has released the RadeonHD 1.2.2 driver. In addition, they pushed out the RadeonHD 1.2.3 driver just moments later, which introduces their Command Submission infrastructure.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I understand correctly, this driver is still not an alternative
    to the ATI binary drivers if I want to watch video without tearing
    and smooth framerate on my HD 2600 PRO in my imac.

When I tried 1.2.1 it simply could not play video at 1920x1200.

I'd like to get away from the binary drivers since they have their
    own issues. :-\

Comment

I don't know whether or not I got this right - does this release provide CVideo support for 780G-based IGPs yet, or do we still need to wait for that to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
        If I understand correctly, this driver is still not an alternative
        to the ATI binary drivers if I want to watch video without tearing
        and smooth framerate on my HD 2600 PRO in my imac.
        Correct.

_______

Does this version have Radeon 46xx modesetting support?

Comment

I'm thinking a KMS driver for startup and switching to the proprietary one when X loads... Is this possible?

Comment

Just wondering. With all the specs AMD releases, is the 3D specs for R600/R700 the only one left there the IP haven't been resolved yet?

Bridgeman mentioned in the power saving thread that the power saving specs might be a problem to release...

Comment

Hmm, I'm getting tempted to pull out my 690G mobo and use that. I'm a little tired of waiting for 2D accel for my 780G.

Comment

I've got a theory.

What if AMD is just playing us? So that we only get full support long after the hardware is made obsolete?

Take Creative Labs for example, with no Linux support for the X-Fi, everyone hated on Creative. But they never supported Linux in the first place, so why was everyone pissed at Creative all of a sudden? Because they never took an active approach to supporting Linux. A year goes by (ie, hardware going obsolete) and they release a binary driver. But people still hate CLabs.

Now our guys at AMD, no one is really hating on them (except a few like me, who should really stop buying their shit, but get persuaded too easily). Why doesnt anyone hate AMD like they hated Creative? AMD never supported Linux before. I'll tell you why, by giving us the perception that their is active development, people shutup. And wait patiently. But the end result is identical to the X-Fi situation. Years have gone by since the 26xx and 38xxx hardware was released. But there is still only pathetic X-Fi like support on Linux. Yet people dont hate AMD as much as Creative for they perceive AMD as trying to help.

If i wore a hat, I'd take it off for the AMD PR Manager.

Anyways this is all just a conspiracy. So dont get your underwear in a twist.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                  I've got a theory.

What if AMD is just playing us? So that we only get full support long after the hardware is made obsolete?

Take Creative Labs for example, with no Linux support for the X-Fi, everyone hated on Creative. But they never supported Linux in the first place, so why was everyone pissed at Creative all of a sudden? Because they never took an active approach to supporting Linux. A year goes by (ie, hardware going obsolete) and they release a binary driver. But people still hate CLabs.

Now our guys at AMD, no one is really hating on them (except a few like me, who should really stop buying their shit, but get persuaded too easily). Why doesnt anyone hate AMD like they hated Creative? AMD never supported Linux before. I'll tell you why, by giving us the perception that their is active development, people shutup. And wait patiently. But the end result is identical to the X-Fi situation. Years have gone by since the 26xx and 38xxx hardware was released. But there is still only pathetic X-Fi like support on Linux. Yet people dont hate AMD as much as Creative for they perceive AMD as trying to help.

If i wore a hat, I'd take it off for the AMD PR Manager.

oh finally someone that thinks it like I do.

I already said on IRC #phoronix channel: Amd is taking more time to release specs than Dante Alighieri took to write the Divine Commedy.

They are fooling us, because in 2 years I don't know what to do with an HD 2600 XT gpu. so in the mean time they convince us they are "good" and are working so we buy their cards.

phoronix should start to say these things and get a political/economic view about this shit, always of course if phoronix considers this as shit.

Comment

I've got a theory. What if AMD is just playing us? So that we only get full support long after the hardware is made obsolete?
                    That would make my life a lot easier. We could stop working on HD4xxx and just worry about the older R600 info. Most of the effort would be the same, but it sure would be easier for me. It's not what we are doing though...

Years have gone by since the 26xx and 38xxx hardware was released.
                    I think the HD2xxx launched in May '07 (just over a year) and the first HD3xxx launched in Nov '07 (less than a year). Remember that we had to get init & modesetting support out for the HD3xxx and HD4xxxx along the way. Initial info release was in early Sep '07, followed by 5xx 3D support in late Feb (about 6 months). The 6xx/7xx 3D engine is all new and much more complicated, and we're coming up on 8 months right now. From that point on I think we should be largely "caught up".

Just a conspiracy *theory*, right ?
                    Last edited by bridgman; 14 October 2008, 12:28 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X