Xorg problems... help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xorg problems... help?

I bought a used Nvidia GeForce 7950GT PCI-e card that I had issues/problems with. It seemed to be overheating or running too hot. I could only configure/install drivers in XP. The temp monitor showed 76 degrees. I assume that is too hot. It was running stock with no aftermarket cooler. I think a cooler should help but even stock, it should not run that hot, right? I have a 7950GT card in my current machine and it's an Intel-based board with a EVGA card with an aftermarket cooler but only running at around 42 degrees (ranges between 42-47). The other computer is AMD but still, I don't think any GeForce 7-series card should be going up to 70-something degrees.

The problem is that I was having problems regaining the default Xorg configuration. I would like it from scratch even. I had at my disposal an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card and an ATI X300 PCI-e card to use. But, neither helped but I don't think it's the fault of either card. I am wondering if there are leftover Nvidia drivers/packages/modules still installed or if something else is remaining that is causing problems.

When I boot up the distro, it gets to the KDE screen but then goes to the splashy screen which becomes 'dark grey/black.' It doesn't get any further and I can't get a CLI (Command Line window).

I've tried 'repair' utilities (i.e. repair xorg programs) and reinstalling the backup xorg.conf to no avail.

This is in Mepis but probably would apply to any Debian flavour. I appreciate any ideas or suggestions of what to try. I'm rather inexperienced with X Server/xorg problems. I have installed Nvidia drivers before but went by notes I made from forum posts and various Linux/Nvidia instructions. I've had issues before but this is the worst I've seen/experiences.

Thanks for any attempts at assistance (in advance).

Hello All, I have a little laptop with 7" screen (800x480 with 24 bit) resolution, when i try to boot splashtop on USB with this laptop, at the moment kernel loads, the screen just starts flashing (it wont starts booting), And when i press ENTER key it display as follows

You passed undefined mode number
    Press to see video mode available, to continue or wait for 30
    second
    Video adaptor: VESA VGA
    Mode Cols x Rows
    0 0F00 80x25
    1 0F01 80x50
    2 0F02 80x43
    3 0F03 80x28
    4 0F05 80x30
    5 0F06 80x34
    6 0F07 80x60
    Enter mode number or 'scan':

After this when i type 0, it boots into text mode, anf finally into desktop,
    I tried the kernel line parameter "vga" with lots of variables, even i tried to turn off splash with "splash" variable, but did not worked,
    Now my Question is i want this mode number 0 (Zero), to be able to pass on to kernel line (OR any other methods if possible), so that it should not ask me to enter 0 after i press ENTER key. Or for this to work fine do i need to change any packages inside the SPLASHTOP?? Any suggestions or help can be most appriciated.

Thank you

Comment

The mode 0 can be forced with "vga=normal". How to do this with splashtop is another thing.

Comment

Working...
      X