Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Year Later, X-Fi Drivers Still Horrific

Phoronix: A Year Later, X-Fi Drivers Still Horrific

After Creative Labs Duped Linux For Vista, it was just a year ago that they had released their X-Fi Linux driver. That initial driver in 2007 had only supported 64-bit Linux, wasn't targeted at newer versions of GCC, and had a whole host of other problems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But you get sound with the binary blob, right?

Comment

Don't buy newer generation Creative sound cards if you're planning on using Linux. Just don't. There are other high-end options that I'm sure are better supported by ALSA. For casual/simple audio needs, the integrated HD audio chipsets on today's motherboards are getting pretty good, and they usually work fairly well with ALSA.

Comment

I got a Audigy4 ATM its pretty good...but I'd really like a x-fi xtremegamer, which is supposed to be great for gaming on windows. My only worry is if I dont get any sound on linux with it...

EDIT: If anyone wants to trade I'm all for it

Comment

Originally posted by conholster View Post
          I got a Audigy4 ATM its pretty good...but I'd really like a x-fi xtremegamer, which is supposed to be great for gaming on windows. My only worry is if I dont get any sound on linux with it...

EDIT: If anyone wants to trade I'm all for it
          Put in both sound cards if you've got an available slot .

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            Put in both sound cards if you've got an available slot .
            OMG!!! Will that work? If so I could connect my 5.1 on one card and headset into the other!

Comment

Originally posted by conholster View Post
              OMG!!! Will that work? If so I could connect my 5.1 on one card and headset into the other!
              Yes you can. Multiple sound cards should work just fine. Since the X-FI doesn't have a proper driver on Linux, ALSA will only pick up your Audigy card there, the X-FI will probably be ignored, and should do no harm otherwise. On the Windows-side, you'll see both, but of course, you can choose which one to use ..

So, plug your headset into the Audigy and use that on Linux, and hook your surround-stuff up to the X-Fi and use that on Windows.

Comment

OK, thanks oyvind!

Comment

Open Sound System 4 should have proper X-Fi drivers.

Comment

Well, now that Atheros went open, nVidia released a new driver, and Dell got broadcom to get on it... Does this make Creative The Most Troublesome Holdout?

Comment

Working...
                    X