Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA 177.80 Display Driver

Default NVIDIA 177.80 Display Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA 177.80 Display Driver

Over the course of the past few months we have seen several NVIDIA Linux drivers that have all been marked as beta with the last official release appearing in April. Today though NVIDIA has released the 177.80 Linux driver, which is an official update and christens the changes made with the 177.67, 177.68, 170.70, 177.76, and 177.78 beta drivers. Among the changes are RENDER extension improvements, finally officially supporting the GeForce GTX series, text rendering fixes, and there are 25 official changes in total.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12922

Thanks god that they made the official release. Any idea of when they will implement the OpenGL 3.0 in the linux drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Setlec View Post
    Thanks god that they made the official release. Any idea of when they will implement the OpenGL 3.0 in the linux drivers?
    With the 180 release most likely.

Woohoo!

When does it get kernel mode setting like intel chips? I'm still pained over having to pick nVidia just because it was the only option on this notebook powerful enough to do what I want-- 'cause mere months after I did, intel came out with their X4500 gpu series....

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    Woohoo!

When does it get kernel mode setting like intel chips? I'm still pained over having to pick nVidia just because it was the only option on this notebook powerful enough to do what I want-- 'cause mere months after I did, intel came out with their X4500 gpu series....
    AFAIK, you won't see any oss-like-KMS with the binary driver for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    AFAIK, you won't see any oss-like-KMS with the binary driver for quite some time.
    So much for NVIDIA's open-source strategy rumor

Seems like times are changing. Nvidia were once the only option in Linux. Now they are slipping behind Intel and AMD. Now with AMD splitting, I wonder how this will change things.

Quote Originally Posted by b15hop View Post
    Now with AMD splitting, I wonder how this will change things.
    very little probably, amd is only spinning off its production division. Graphics and software is still housed under amd

A new feature was omitted from the official change log, I think.

Audio through HDMI now works with this new driver. This includes SPDIF passthrough for DVI-HDMI connections, not just cards with HDMI.

See this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97993

Yes this is a driver issue. We recently implemented support for audio through HDMI and it is expected to ship in the release 177 driver when available. I suggest you periodically check our web site for driver updates to version 177.

Do i understand this coreectly; these drivers do not support my 9800 GX2?