Ubuntu 8.10 Beta and Radeon HD 4870...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grantek View Post
    You could also just install 8.10 and live with vesa/text mode until you can get git radeonhd compiled. I've got a RV770 but haven't tried doing anything with Ubuntu 8.10/XServer 1.5, could be interesting though
    Why not use fglrx? Is the kernel incompatible? If fglrx doesn't work i would think there was something wrong with the install unless there are 8.10 specific problems.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The open source drivers should work OK with the HD4870 as long as you get the most recent code, ie you probably have to download and build from git. I don't know how current the code is in the 8.10 packages. You won't get video acceleration with the open source drivers on HD4xxx yet but if you use the -x11 output you should get OK video playback performance.

EDIT - just saw rbmorse's post; if radeonhd in 8.10 works just use that.
      As you suggest the open source driver, does this mean fglrx isn't working with newer kernels/Xorgs that comes with 8.10?

I mean Catalyst 8.10 will surly have xorg 7.4 support, right?
      Last edited by oblidor; 05 October 2008, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oblidor View Post
        Why not use fglrx? Is the kernel incompatible? If fglrx doesn't work i would think there was something wrong with the install unless there are 8.10 specific problems.

fglrx does not support xserver 1.5.

Adam

Comment

Looks like we are in a bind till AMD releases a compatible driver.

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
            Looks like we are in a bind till AMD releases a compatible driver.
            Exactly. I've installed 8.10 before I've get my HD4850, so I wont go back just because of the driver ;-) 8.10 fixes a lot of things for me, so I'll just wait and hope that 8.10 will bring Ubuntu 8.10 and xserver 1.5 support ;-)

Comment

If you are running 8.10, and Ubuntu has not yet packaged up a driver that runs on HD48xx, you can download and build a driver yourself :

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd/
              Test signature

Comment

( FYI: In Ubuntu 8.10 is RadeonHD 1.2.1 )
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Now we all wait and see...

Comment

... or download and build a driver yourself... or ask Ubuntu to upgrade the driver in 8.10...
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      ... or download and build a driver yourself... or ask Ubuntu to upgrade the driver in 8.10...
                      Option #2 sounds better... Haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X