Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Premium Reminder, Go Ad-Free

Phoronix: Phoronix Premium Reminder, Go Ad-Free

With the start of a new month, it's time to remind you all about the benefits of joining Phoronix Premium. Phoronix Premium is our very affordable subscription service that allows you to view Phoronix without any embedded advertisements, access our single-page article viewing feature, access an exclusive area on our forums, and the generated funds go to support our operations of covering the Linux hardware scene...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

view Phoronix without any embedded advertisements - Since most Firefox users today (especially Linux users) use AdBlock/noscript when browsing. What incentive is there to pay a subscription fees?

single-page article viewing - is hardly a feature. People in general are used to turning pages, in books, magazines, websites etc.. The need to turn pages doesn't impose a new inconvenience. Having the ability to view an entire article on a single page some may find annoying if they just wish to get a glimpse of the introduction, as the browser would now attempt to download the entire page. If it is a lengthy article with many images, it may be considered as a waste of bandwidth.

access an exclusive area on our forums - Also seems odd, especially from a site that reports predominately open source news. Why are there private sections of the forum? Do we get insight into the otherwise NDA information Phoronix taunts us with?

Some of the other forums I belong to (Automotive, Home Audio etc..) offer monthly prizes and special discounts to members. Members can also have more advanced (images, size etc..) signatures and profile pictures.

The attached image is of Phoronix.com from my PC. I am not a subscriber.

Comment

No. 1 reason is to support Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
        view Phoronix without any embedded advertisements - Since most Firefox users today (especially Linux users) use AdBlock/noscript when browsing. What incentive is there to pay a subscription fees?
        I despise the use of AdBlock.

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
        single-page article viewing - is hardly a feature. People in general are used to turning pages, in books, magazines, websites etc.. The need to turn pages doesn't impose a new inconvenience. Having the ability to view an entire article on a single page some may find annoying if they just wish to get a glimpse of the introduction, as the browser would now attempt to download the entire page. If it is a lengthy article with many images, it may be considered as a waste of bandwidth.
        Many people have requested it...

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        No. 1 reason is to support Phoronix.
        Yep, it's very costly to operate with a very slim margin considering the hardware and travel costs... Hence the limited staff and why I find myself working 80+ hour work weeks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

...Get Ready For November 1st.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X