No announcement yet.

radeonhd patch: HDMI support including Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All sounds are slower. Even the X initial sound in kde is slower.

Playing an mp3 with either mplayer or xine is slower.

Specific info on the mp3 played from mplayer is:

Code:
    Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
    AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
    Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
    ==========================================================================
    AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Still, you did pretty good getting anything out. Good luck.

Comment

Just an update: for me the current version from Git works perfectly on my Radeon HD 3870. Great job!

Comment

Christian did a great job getting this working. The patch emailed to me worked well and the timing issue was resolved as far as I could tell. I haven't confirmed with the latest git but it should work for 780g.

Problem is: 780g with radeonhd have poor graphics. Screen larger than monitor so kde bottom bar doesn't show. Part of top also missing and can only choose between 3 poor resolutions. Radeonhd (2D) works OK out of rgb but no sound. Still only 3-4 so/so resolutions. Radeonhd video still too slow for useful hd replay using mythtv, mplayer, or xine. I'm sure the graphics side will get there some time. Maybe Christian will help them.

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
          Screen larger than monitor so kde bottom bar doesn't show. Part of top also missing and can only choose between 3 poor resolutions.
          These don't sound like known problems. Suggest you post details on the radeonhd mailing list and see if they can be fixed - seems like setup more than driver issues.

Radeonhd (2D) works OK out of rgb but no sound. Still only 3-4 so/so resolutions.
          Again, being limited to 3 or 4 resolutions doesn't sound right unless your monitor is saying "yo dude I only do 3 or 4 resolutions" via EDID. Mailing list again.

Radeonhd video still too slow for useful hd replay using mythtv, mplayer, or xine.
          At HD resolutions this is probably true but is being worked on and good progress is being made.
          Test signature

Comment

Christian did a great job getting this working.
            Problem is: 780g with radeonhd have poor graphics. Screen larger than monitor so kde bottom bar doesn't show. Part of top also missing and can
            If you are talking about overscan, I had this problem. I had a setting on my TV which allowed me to set 1:1 pixel mapping for the screen size, instead of Auto.

only choose between 3 poor resolutions.
            As far as I know this is to do with E-EDID support, this has recently been added to XServer so most drivers are yet to implement the extra calls required for E-EDID information (includes extra resolutions and whether the connection supports audio).

Regards,
            Ceri

Comment

My TV doesn't have anything like that. It only has a setting for wide, zoom, and normal. I have changed all of these and saw no change to xrandr. With the latest open source drivers I'm only getting two resolutions and that is with rgb cable disconnected using hdmi. At some point in past I got 3 resolutions. Also in past with only rgb hooked up I once got 4.

Same system, TV, and TV settings but using fglrx produces MANY resolutions. Maybe the open source drivers call EDID differently.

I did post bug report.

They say they can't duplicate and that it seem similar to another post.

fglrx is working fairly well for me. I've used what others have posted for getting the latest to work with mythtv.

I occasionally come here to see if testing on my hardware helps.

Comment

My TV doesn't have anything like that. It only has a setting for wide, zoom, and normal. I have changed all of these and saw no change to xrandr.
                I do agree that there is some kind of problem with over scan on radeonhd, it wasn't so much of a problem for me though since I had the 1:1 pixel mapping with my TV.

With the latest open source drivers I'm only getting two resolutions and that is with rgb cable disconnected using hdmi. At some point in past I got 3 resolutions. Also in past with only rgb hooked up I once got 4.

Same system, TV, and TV settings but using fglrx produces MANY resolutions. Maybe the open source drivers call EDID differently.
                Yea, fglrx I believe has it's own custom E-EDID reading functions, Christian did supply me with a patch that does something similar to fglrx as my TV had 24Hz support which was only available when parsing E-EDID info. We were in the middle of testing this functionality when my PSU broke, hopefully I should have a replacement this week and we can continue with our testing.

Comment

What you are seeing in Catalyst is a list of virtual modes, not the available (reported) EDID modes. Fglrx displays the virtual modes as a convenience to help users struggling with overscan problems and etc.

For the actual list of reported modes for your display, look in the logfile at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X