r600 kms status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r600 kms status

I'm curious if any of the AMD hackers or contributors have any status updates for kernel mode-setting support for R600 class chips.

I've got a 780G based motherboard that I bought to replace my old NVIDIA motherboard (in the hopes of supporting a Free driver -- nouveau couldn't even get a usable video mode running). I've got no complaints about lack of acceleration (I know it's going to be a lot of work), but I am curious if I'll see KMS any time in the next few months, or if I should consider "updating" to an Intel rig. (It would be a couple months before I could responsibly consider dumping $300 on a new mobo/cpu pair that I don't strictly need anyway.)

On a side note, is it normal that I can't switch back to text mode using either the ati or radeonhd driver, or is this something I should be reporting? I'm using an ASRock 780FullDisplayPort motherboard, due to the favorable review posted here on Phoronix a few months back. I'm assuming it's a side effect of the less complete mode setting support in R600.

Thanks!

Well, there isn't much R600/R700 code for the public at all yet, maybe that'll change in a week or so. I'd wait for that first, maybe someone started working on KMS support already.

Comment

Check today's #radeon IRC :

http://www.radeonhd.org/?page=archiv...08&d=2008-9-30
      Test signature

Comment

r6xx KMS works, but still no accel yet. We're working on it.

Comment

Thanks guys, for both the update and your hard work!

Comment

Sorry to bring it up again, but... how do I get R600 KMS to work for testing? I'm keeping up on Fedora Rawhide but it isn't working there. The Fedora KMS feature page says that R600 KMS "needs testing" before it can be enabled but has no instructions on how to do so. I assume I'll need to build some things from git, but which trees/branches and what other configuration do I need?

Thanks!

Comment

You'll need to build the modesetting-gem drm tree (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm...odesetting-gem) against a kernel with gem bits. See Dave's post for more info:
              So if you are feeling like testing modesetting on radeon cards, here are some methods. a) Install Fedora rawhide - remember nomodeset on the kernel commandline disables it. b) get some repos. You need to do a full kernel build for this stuff. git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kerne…

It's a little out of date but mostly still applies.

Comment

Working...
              X