Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid's Theme

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid's Theme

Ubuntu users were promised a radical new desktop theme with Ubuntu 8.04 and then that ended up getting postponed to the upcoming 8.10 release (a.k.a. the Intrepid Ibex)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it really all that important since most users [me included] will customize the desktop the way they want or create their own?

http://gnome-look.org/

Comment

If you thought you were sick of the default theme now, just think how you'll feel in another six months!

...I really hope this doesn't go down this way, that would suck.

Comment

I didn't tested any alpha release yet, but that dark theme looked quite promising.

Comment

the theme's aight but that background is SOO UGLY...

if you squint really hard it looks like brown

Comment

They should have just taken the Dust theme and got it up to spec and used it. It'd be perfect.

I don't think it can be said for sure that they're not still planning to do that, I think they know how disappointed people would be if they used the same one.

Comment

t3g

If they keep the Human theme (or a slightly modified theme) that will show Ubuntu doesn't have the means of its ambitions - not because it doesn't have designers (lots of good themes have been created) but because the "managment" can't take any meaningful decision, nor give any artistic direction to the project. It will also be a slap in the face of every body that spend their time and energy creating new themes for Ubuntu, just to see their work is never acknowledged.

I'm not one of those that find Human ugly, but nevertheless, there's a problem if they can't move forward after 4 or 5 years.

I'd welcome a darkish (CDE-like, or dark purple old Solaris theme) - easier on the eyes, and a bit more original than the light gray/white Legacy Windows and OSX themes.

Edit : Dust is indeed the theme I use atm for Intrepid, there's still inconsistencies (Firefox vs Thunderbird) but those would certainly be cleared in a heartbeat if everybody knew they'd chose Dust (unless, of course, a certain benevolent dictator decides he can't live without the antiquated human on all desktop).
              Last edited by miles; 30 September 2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Seriously, this is horrible. It makes me want to throw up.

Comment

I hope they don't make the default theme dark.

Because that simply is dumb thinking and discarding 80% of the computer users really.

Comment

Ubuntu's current theme: looks completely sh... ugly, is it a joke?
                    Dust theme: saw it for the first time... looks great!

Comment

Working...
                    X