Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFG 5900 Ultra (Asylum) Text OK, Hangs on Switch to FB Graphics

Listmates,

This may seem like a 4 year old question, but I was going to upgrade my daughter's computer (MSI Km2m/Via 266/AthlonXP 2400 Thoroughbred) with a recently acquired BFG Geforce 5900 fx Ultra card 128M, called an "Asylum" card and it hangs the system when the system switches from text mode to the grub frame buffer graphics screen on openSuSE 11.0.

I have changed and tried all the bios settings (AGP 2X, 4X, AGP window size 64M, 128M (even tried higher for kicks)). No matter what I do, I can't get the card to successfully switch to graphics mode. I even tried booting windows and the same thing happened.

The card appears to run fine (fans, etc.). I have always been impressed with the sheer amount of metal they put in the older cards. This thing ways a ton. I though it could be power, so I changed the older 550W power supply (questionable quality) for a new Thermaltake 430 (plenty of power for this box and card). Still no luck.

I have had much more experience with troubleshooting ATI cards, most nvidia cards I've had just run. The guy I got it from pulled it in running condition from his machine and I take him at his word. Are there any tricks or tips anyone recalls from days past that will help get this card working? If I can pass any provide any additional information, just let me know. Thanks!

All, After additional testing, I suspect a hardware failure with the card. The Radeon x1650 works great in the same slot (except for no gears in glxgears, but that is another issue -- driver issue that is (8-9 driver, no help)

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
    X