Cedega 6.1 Gaming Service Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    If you're going to pay for it, you may as well pay a company that actively gives back to Wine (CodeWeavers' CrossOver).
    I'm not. I'd rather have both companies go belly up.

EDIT:
    Maybe that was a little harsh. But looking long term, these really don't help the cause, I think. I'd dread that the more dependent we become of this, the more Windows we are, in the sense that we keep running Windows apps to do personal computing. Thinking about a situation where everyone runs Wine for anything just makes me shiver.
    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 25 September 2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
      But looking long term, these really don't help the cause, I think.
      I think it depends on what you see as "helping". Will Wine/Cedega/etc "help" make companies port their apps to Linux? Not really. But they will (and do) help bring people to use Linux and ditch Windows. And that will help convince companies to port.

I'd dread that the more dependent we become of this, the more Windows we are, in the sense that we keep running Windows apps to do personal computing. Thinking about a situation where everyone runs Wine for anything just makes me shiver.
      It'd only be dependant in-so-far as unported apps, and apps that have no Linux equivalant, go. Wine isn't sustainable as a "replacement" to Windows.. it's in a perpetual condition of playing catch-up with real Windows. And as such, it will only be needed as long as Windows is around, which will be as long as people use Windows, which will be as long as needed software is Windows-only.

EDIT:
      Furthermore, Wine has a place in running old Windows apps that even WinXP/Vista can't run anymore, similar to how DOSBox/FreeDOS has a place running old DOS apps.. for those things that won't ever be updated again, let alone ported.
      Last edited by Chris; 25 September 2008, 11:37 PM.

Comment

When I compare WINE and Cedega, Cedega's real advantage is getting it to work with less fiddling on stuff. That's if it's supposed to work anyway. That's what you are paying for, IMO.
        Unfortunately a lot of games don't work for me (C&C generals, Farcry, BF2, BF2142).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I think it depends on what you see as "helping". Will Wine/Cedega/etc "help" make companies port their apps to Linux? Not really. But they will (and do) help bring people to use Linux and ditch Windows. And that will help convince companies to port.

It'd only be dependant in-so-far as unported apps, and apps that have no Linux equivalant, go. Wine isn't sustainable as a "replacement" to Windows.. it's in a perpetual condition of playing catch-up with real Windows. And as such, it will only be needed as long as Windows is around, which will be as long as people use Windows, which will be as long as needed software is Windows-only.
          Up until companies say "we don't need to develop it for Linux, we'll just have them run WINE/Cedega/Crossover/etc...
          That's the REAL gotcha...

Is it really that amazing? You do know that Spore has a Cider release...
          Cider = Cedega on Mac... how's them apples?

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
            Cider = Cedega on Mac... how's them apples?
            Yeah. Wouldn't that mean though that the source code is a bit friendlier to Cider/Cedega? And I'd think the same can be said for their copy protection.

Comment

Up until companies say "we don't need to develop it for Linux, we'll just have them run WINE/Cedega/Crossover/etc...
              And if they say that, they don't really care about it running on Linux (as I've said before). Plus Cedega and Crossover require money (if not subscriptions), so a someone requiring one of those would be forcing the potential user to buy other products in addition to their own, thereby reducing the overall amount of customers they would've had otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
                What we need are enough users that companies actually think about Linux in the first place. They will make Linux their primary (or co-) platform only when either: it has the largest share of the market, or the market is too divided to pick a monopoly.

When companies start to pose questions like "WHAT?!?! Our product won't work under Wine?" - we're doing great.

Back to step one: The way to get users is to allow them to use the most popular apps, and apps they already own for that "other" OS.

Comment

Working...
                X