Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedega 6.1 Gaming Service Released

Phoronix: Cedega 6.1 Gaming Service Released

Back in February we shared that Cedega 6.1 would be entering beta soon and in June the Cedega 6.1 beta was released. Three months after the public beta, the final release of Cedega 6.1 is now available to Transgaming's customers. Transgaming is now advertising this release as a transformation into a "community-supported membership service." Transgaming is also providing a new Cedega Gaming Service Membership and has launched the Cedega Certified Series of PC Games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! Thanks for the heads-up!

I've been supporting Cedega for 2 years now and this is the best release so far. Good to see progress being made.

Comment

An article on wine vs Cedega please.

And use wine "properly" with separate WINEPREFIX for each game, use native dlls as far as possible etc...

I strongly believe there is no advantage of Cedega over wine, if wine is used properly.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post

And use wine "properly" with separate WINEPREFIX for each game, use native dlls as far as possible etc...

I strongly believe there is no advantage of Cedega over wine, if wine is used properly.
        WINE vs PlayOnLinux then?

Comment

Using as many native dlls as you can kinda defeats the purpose of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post

Well, the advantage would obviously be that you don't have to know about any of that stuff just to run your favourite game

I guess Cedega will have more of a problem when WINE starts making it really easy to get the optimal configuration for each game/application. It's probably one of the strengths of Cedega.

Comment

I see no new games supported by Cedega (except Spore) with this new release. Even worse Battlfield 2142 is still listed as officially supported while online isn't working (because punkbuster isn't supported)

I rarely use Cedega, crossover games works far better and has better support.

Comment

Originally posted by aniruddha View Post
                I see no new games supported by Cedega (except Spore) with this new release. Even worse Battlfield 2142 is still listed as officially supported while online isn't working (because punkbuster isn't supported)

I rarely use Cedega, crossover games works far better and has better support.
                NWN2 is officially supported now, that's the one I noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
                  Using as many native dlls as you can kinda defeats the purpose of wine.
                  Do you even know what a native dll is?

A native dll is a linux binary. Its _native_ to linux. Its usually built into wine or .so file in $libdir/wine
                  Last edited by cruiseoveride; 25 September 2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Yes and now. Native can mean both native Linux or native Windows. Remember NDISWrapper? This "wraps" native windows dlls to look like native Linux libraries.

Comment

Working...
                    X