No DVI out on Asus P5E-V HDMI with DVI-HDMI adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No DVI out on Asus P5E-V HDMI with DVI-HDMI adapter

I've got a new Asus P5E-V HDMI board with an onboard intel G35. When I connect it via VGA to the monitor everything works fine.

But when I connect it via the HDMI-DVI connector that came with the board to my Iiyama ProLite E481 things get funny. I can see the BIOS-post and everything until I start X. When I do so the screen goes black and the monitor switches off.
    This is with xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.4.2-1) on a debian testing system with just the necessary parts from experimental to get this driver running. Just to see if the hardware is working correctly I switched to the vesa driver and can get a working screen with 1280x1024.

With just this monitor connected via the HDMI-DVI adapter the last lines of Xorg.0.log are (back with the intel driver):

(II) intel(0): Output VGA using monitor section Configured Monitor
    (II) intel(0): I2C bus "CRTDDC_A" initialized.
    (II) intel(0): I2C bus "SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB" initialized.
    (II) intel(0): I2C device "SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB:SDVO Controller B" registered at
    address 0x70.
    (II) intel(0): I2C bus "SDVOB DDC Bus" initialized.
    (II) intel(0): Output TMDS-1 has no monitor section
    (II) intel(0): SDVOB: device VID/DID: 04:AE.00, clock range 25.0MHz - 165.0MHz
    (II) intel(0): SDVOB: 1 input channel
    (II) intel(0): SDVOB: TMDS0 output reported
    (II) intel(0): Current clock rate multiplier: 8
    (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
    (II) intel(0): Output TMDS-1 disconnected
    (WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
    (II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
    (II) intel(0): Output TMDS-1 disconnected

So it seems it can't find a connected monitor.... so I connected a second one, an old 15' CRT to the VGA port (with the TFT still connected via the adapter) and tried again.
    Now I can get a screen on the old VGA when I start X, but the TFT still switches off.
    xrandr --prop tells me:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1152 x 864, maximum 1360 x 1360
    VGA connected 1152x864+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
    1360x768 59.8
    1152x864 60.0*
    1024x768 60.0
    800x600 60.3
    640x480 59.9
    TMDS-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

....the same as before, the intel driver seems to be unable to find the connected monitor, although everything (BIOS post, console messages) is displayed correctly until I start X.

Does anybody have a suggestion what to try next?

I have no help, I can only confirm the problem. I have a ThinkPad T400 with both a GMA 4500HD and an ATi 3460 (or something like that). When I enable the 4500HD, the external display (attached through DVI on the ThinkPad Advanced Minidock), the display is not detected, xrandr doesn't list it. If the ATi chip is enabled, it detects the external display automatically.

Comment

Working...
    X