No announcement yet.

Gentoo Cancels 2008.1, Plans New Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the last time I installed gentoo was when I went from a 2000xp to an athlon 64 3200.

Many years ago ... since then it just works....

Comment

there is a lot of hate towards gentoo
      Probably because smug, asshole users of Gentoo like the one quoted below are prevalent across Linux forums. Just because someone uses Ubuntu/Debian, it doesn't mean they're incapable of building software from source or using a CLI. Sometimes, it's just faster/more convenient.

A Linux distribution's possible merits are not limited to shiny point-to-click installers and precompiled binary releases.
      True, but who made this claim? Also, a "distribution's possible merits" are not limited to building everything from source.

Comment

Just because someone uses Ubuntu/Debian, it doesn't mean they're incapable of building software from source or using a CLI.
        afaik people using ubuntu usually don't need to do that kind of stuff, unless they hit some kind of critical bug, right? so they really wouldn't seem to be that proficient with cli or compiling stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          afaik people using ubuntu usually don't need to do that kind of stuff, unless they hit some kind of critical bug, right? so they really wouldn't need to be that proficient with cli or compiling stuff.
          There, thats better. That doesn't mean that they are not proficient with cli and compiling.

And besides, gentoo really abstracts all the nasty parts of compiling for the user. The only thing you need to be able to do to run gentoo is follow HOWTOs.

Comment

Yanno... All the people bitching about the "doom and gloom" are acting like Fanboys. Seriously, if you've a problem with it, you can either say it more gracefully or just keep silent.

Popularity wise, Ubuntu's the top one right at the moment. Gentoo's popularity HAS slid some but is still much so. That's the reality of it.

Michael probably needs to refrain from his remarks, yes.

So should you lot.

Comment

at some point Mandrake was 'the cool distro'. Then it was cool to have debian installed. Redhad and Suse user? You are just a noob! The real h4X0R uses debian! Then came gentoo, now ubuntu.

In two years some other distro will be the cool one.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                afaik people using ubuntu usually don't need to do that kind of stuff, unless they hit some kind of critical bug, right? so they really wouldn't seem to be that proficient with cli or compiling stuff.
                I use Ubuntu & Debian (mostly Ubuntu), and I compile a good bit of software to take advantage of the latest features, configure the software differently than what's in the repo, make .deb's for other people, etc. I'm also very active in the Ubuntu forums helping those that aren't as nerdy as me, writing documentation, etc.

I've tried other distributions (Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora, Arch), but in the end, I keep coming back to Ubuntu, because I like its package management and the underlying philosophy of its developers. I don't care what distribution is cool or whether some Gentoo users want to stereotype Ubuntu users as clueless n00bs to make themselves feel superior. That's the great thing about software freedom - choice.

Comment

so, how does it feel to have to install stupid -dev packets because ubuntu (and the rest) doesn't install headers by default?

Comment

It seems like this thread is turning into "linux, land of free choices....so long as you use my distribution of choice".
                    I personally use gentoo as its design goals and package maintenance system sit very well with me. Debian is perfect for my work colleague. No matter where the packages come from or how they're installed, the end result is the same - a customised machine running GNU/Linux.
                    It's personal choice, so stop whinging, go down to the pub, and have a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      so, how does it feel to have to install stupid -dev packets because ubuntu (and the rest) doesn't install headers by default?
                      Synaptic makes it very quick/easy to install "stupid" -dev packages, so it doesn't "feel" anything. Did your post have a point other than showing yourself as a Gentoo fanboy?

Comment

Working...
                      X