Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM/DRI HD2400 Support

Hi there....

Having problems with getting DRM/DRI working with this card, using radeonhd driver from GIT.

Currently running Feodra Rawhide on 2.6.27 (latest)

From GIT: drm, mesa, xserver and so on.

On kernel drm; drm.ko inserts ok, radeon inserts, but no message displayed in dmesg.

On git drm; drm.ko inserts ok, radeon inserts, but no message.

dmesg:
    [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810

lspci:
    0:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Host Bridge (rev a1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce 250Gb PCI System Management (rev a1)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
    00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
    00:05.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK8S Ethernet Controller (rev a2)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Parallel ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AGP Host to PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV610LE [Radeon HD 2400 Series]

Appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

Morten
    Last edited by diszler; 22 September 2008, 06:44 AM.

This is no suprise since it is just not possible. DRM/DRI only works for r5xx chips, not for r6xx+ chips.

Comment

We have not pushed the DRM support for 6xx/7xx yet.

We have do have DRM running internally on both 6xx and 7xx (ie HD2xxx, HD3xxx, HD4xxx) with a test program substituting for Mesa, and are going to kick off another IP review this week.
      Test signature

Comment

About the DRM code/patches (and the recent discussion about inclusion between David Airlie and Linus Torvalds), is the latest code included in the linux-next tree or are you guys waiting for the 2.6.28 window now?

Comment

Originally posted by StefanHamminga View Post
          About the DRM code/patches (and the recent discussion about inclusion between David Airlie and Linus Torvalds), is the latest code included in the linux-next tree or are you guys waiting for the 2.6.28 window now?
          To be honest: I would be glad if the specs are out by the release of kernel 2.6.28...

So far there is ZERO public DRM code available for r6xx+. And until the 3D register specs are out (I hope this happens soon) nothing will be made available. So it does not matter when the merge window closes and stuff like this. First wait for the specs, then soon after some first 3D code stuff should follow, until it is really usable and included in the kernel it will probably take *several* month. (And asking more often will not speed things up at all!)

Comment

I wasn't talking specifically about the R6/7xx code, but in general, I was wondering if the linux-next git tree would contain significantly newer code than the regular tree.

Comment

Thank you for clearing my confusion guys !!

I really appreciate your work on this and the time you spend answering questions like this.

Morten

Comment

For the time this is taking, I'm expecting working compiz and openarena with good performance by the time the 3d specs become public

Seriously, though, this is rather frustrating, and I have to wonder what snarly IP issue is holding this up.

Comment

Not only that, but it will clean the cat box, bring you beer, and chase away the telemarketers for you. Seriously, first release will be code not specs - a basic, working drm plus a couple of demo programs which show how to set up state, draw triangles, fill and bilt, ie all the core functions for a driver.

Part of the delay was related to IP issues but the biggest delay was just getting the 3D engine working without millions of lines of fglrx code. The 6xx hardware programming model isn't radically different once you get everything set up right but troubleshooting the initial setup was extremely difficult, much more so than I expected.

We still had to hit a couple of thousand registers to get the first triangle up on the screen, but that's a lot less than what we started with.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by StefanHamminga View Post
                    I wasn't talking specifically about the R6/7xx code, but in general, I was wondering if the linux-next git tree would contain significantly newer code than the regular tree.
                    DRM doesn't evolve much so the hotness is not their usualy. The next biggest change in DRM side for radeon would be memory management & modesetting and i don't expect them to be merged before 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 (i don't think it's good to merge it before some serious testing have been done so we don't get caught by the FREEZE API Linux things).

Comment

Working...
                    X