Sound Card buying help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Card buying help

I know, another one, but I have specific things I'd like to find out from actual owners of the cards...

I currently have a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (minus the ext. box that it should have) for sound. It is working great for sound under linux, and for gaming under Windows. The one thing I am looking for now, is a working AUX port (for sound from TV Card), which unfortunately (and I've tried everything) is not working under linux with the current Audigy. I am looking into replacing this card, but there are a few things I want:

Working AUX port under Linux/ALSA
    Works with WinXP 64bit (or if not, at least Vista 64)
    Has hardware tone control (bass/treble - my speakers do not have this)
    Can control volume levels of the Front/Center-LFE/Rear speaker groups

Speakers are 5.1 Analog mini-plug (Front/Center-LFE/Rear)

So, a few options I've considered (and my question regarding it):
    ASUS Xonar DX - Does it have hardware tone control like under KMIX-Alsamixer and working AUX port?
    Audigy 2 ZS ___ (Used from ebay) - Do other Audigy 2 ZSs have working AUX port?
    Any other suggestions that do what I want...

I've always liked Creative (had an SB Live 5.1 for the longest time) because under KMix/Alsamixer I can control the speaker levels and bass/treble, but I hate what they have done (Daniel_K). I'd also rather not spend $100 for the Xonar, but rather $40 for a used Audigy 2 or other, if it meets my wants above. If the Xonar is really that good, then ok.

Thanks!

Originally posted by GiSWiG View Post
    I know, another one, but I have specific things I'd like to find out from actual owners of the cards...

I currently have a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (minus the ext. box that it should have) for sound. It is working great for sound under linux, and for gaming under Windows. The one thing I am looking for now, is a working AUX port (for sound from TV Card), which unfortunately (and I've tried everything) is not working under linux with the current Audigy. I am looking into replacing this card, but there are a few things I want:

Working AUX port under Linux/ALSA
    Works with WinXP 64bit (or if not, at least Vista 64)
    Has hardware tone control (bass/treble - my speakers do not have this)
    Can control volume levels of the Front/Center-LFE/Rear speaker groups

Speakers are 5.1 Analog mini-plug (Front/Center-LFE/Rear)

So, a few options I've considered (and my question regarding it):
    ASUS Xonar DX - Does it have hardware tone control like under KMIX-Alsamixer and working AUX port?
    Audigy 2 ZS ___ (Used from ebay) - Do other Audigy 2 ZSs have working AUX port?
    Any other suggestions that do what I want...

I've always liked Creative (had an SB Live 5.1 for the longest time) because under KMix/Alsamixer I can control the speaker levels and bass/treble, but I hate what they have done (Daniel_K). I'd also rather not spend $100 for the Xonar, but rather $40 for a used Audigy 2 or other, if it meets my wants above. If the Xonar is really that good, then ok.

Thanks!
    IIRC the only card that has a tone control is the SB cards which has a hardware mixer implemented. The ASUS Xonar DX does not have a tone control (most modern cards nowdays do not implement a hardware mixer and tone control is usually done with software equilizers). Aux in does work on the Auzentech X-Meridian which uses the same audio chip (CMI8788 although it's rebranded to a Asus number). Seeing that you already own a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro buying another Audigy 2 isn't going to improve your situation. You didn't mention what TV card you had, so I assume that it's a USB tuner as most PCI cards allow audio output be redirected to your soundcard via the system bus and a AUX in generally isn't needed for them.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      IIRC the only card that has a tone control is the SB cards which has a hardware mixer implemented. The ASUS Xonar DX does not have a tone control (most modern cards nowdays do not implement a hardware mixer and tone control is usually done with software equilizers). Aux in does work on the Auzentech X-Meridian which uses the same audio chip (CMI8788 although it's rebranded to a Asus number). Seeing that you already own a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro buying another Audigy 2 isn't going to improve your situation. You didn't mention what TV card you had, so I assume that it's a USB tuner as most PCI cards allow audio output be redirected to your soundcard via the system bus and a AUX in generally isn't needed for them.
      Well, I'm not sure about having another Audigy would not be beneficial, because I think that this card in particular does not have working AUX on the board in linux(from my research). The full set is this: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mul...udigy2-zs.html but I do not have the external IO and remote (Would it be worth it, if I can have the TV Card audio plugged into the back of the ExtIO?)

The TV Card is actually a Pinnacle PCTV 100 PCI card with a internal output to AUX-IN to sound card, and an Ext OUT via mini-plug. That works when going straight to my monitor speakers, but they suck, and have to use my monitors OSD to control Volume which is more than just hit the +/- buttons.

I should note, that before this sound card, I used a SB Live! 5.1 and had the same TV Card with working AUX Port, but the SB Live does not work in WinXP 64 (Terrible stretching noises).

Comment

Originally posted by GiSWiG View Post
        The TV Card is actually a Pinnacle PCTV 100 PCI card with a internal output to AUX-IN to sound card, and an Ext OUT via mini-plug.

You shouldn't need to have the audio cable plugged in to your sound card to get it's audio routed through the sound card. That card uses a philips tuner and *should* be able to route sound via bus to your soundcard. I did have a card that had the same chipset (MSI TV@nyware) and it was capable of routing via the bus without the use of patch cables. IIRC it did take a bit of trickery with it's configuration but that's where the v4l wiki came into help.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          You shouldn't need to have the audio cable plugged in to your sound card to get it's audio routed through the sound card. That card uses a philips tuner and *should* be able to route sound via bus to your soundcard. I did have a card that had the same chipset (MSI TV@nyware) and it was capable of routing via the bus without the use of patch cables. IIRC it did take a bit of trickery with it's configuration but that's where the v4l wiki came into help.
          Actually, this is my card: http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index...le_PCTV_Stereo

It's the Pinnacle PCTV Stereo (I think Windows shows it as a 100 or 110.) This link shows exactly what module options (card/tuner) I need to use to get it working.

I'll take a look. That'd be AWESOME!

Comment

Ok, not what I was hoping for. Volume control does not work (except for the knob on my speakers). Thanks for the suggestion, but I had this working nice with the SBLive, but as I said before, doesn't work nice with Windows XP\Vista 64bit.

I do thank you, and will play around with it some more, but between work and familly life and The Forced Unleashed (Wii is GREAT! HEHE) Time is limited.

So, anyone with an Audigy 2 ZS type card where the AUX in works? Anyone with a Plat. Pro Audigy that the Ext BOX works nice with external inputs?

Comment

Working...
            X