Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SGI Puts OpenGL Work Under New License

Phoronix: SGI Puts OpenGL Work Under New License

SGI has announced today announced the release of a new version of the SGI Free Software License B. This software license is now nearly identical to the X11 license in use by X.Org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally some good news from the OGL camp. They need to have some good press instead of getting ripped like they did in a recent OGL3 vs DX11 article.

OpenGL 3 and DirectX 11 are both hot topics, but we explain why one of the two next-gen APIs is in a position to succeed and the other is struggling to keep its head above water.

Conclusion

We were expecting a lot from OpenGL opengl 3, and as you can tell by reading this article, we’re disappointed—both in the API itself (with the disappearance of promised features) and in the way it’s been handled (a year-long delay and a lack of clear communication on the part of the Khronos group). With this version, OpenGL barely keeps up with Direct3D direct3d 10, and at a time when Microsoft has chosen to publicize the first details of version 11 of its own API.
    There’s nothing revolutionary from Microsoft either, but unlike OpenGL, Direct3D already underwent a major revision of its architecture two years ago. There were some rough stretches of road, but today Microsoft can reap the benefits of the efforts made then to rebuild the API on a sound foundation.
    So, it’s undeniable that Redmond is looking to the future, whereas one gets the impression that Khronos is content with just supporting current GPUs. Here’s hoping it’ll prove us wrong by speeding up the evolution of OpenGL 3, since it is the only API available for multi-platform development. But too many letdowns up until now certainly have our faith in the organization shaken.

Comment

OMG!

This is incredible! I wonder if Debian itself will now become FSF-approved?

Comment

So, GNUsense is getting OpenGL, right?

Comment

was that an issue til now? i mean do have to except now faster releases of opengl or other advantages from this step?

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
            This is incredible! I wonder if Debian itself will now become FSF-approved?
            I think Debian still provides microcode/firmware blobs. I'm kind of ambivalent about the FSF position here; in one sense they're right that this stuff ought to be free/open because it can be altered. On the other hand, it's really just a cost-cutting measure by the manufacturers and if we don't get source/tools to hack it, nothing really changes compared to having it in ROM, a situation that the FSF has found acceptable.
            Last edited by Ex-Cyber; 20 September 2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

looks like itll take an extra month or so to hit distros - see https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/...i-announcement for more info

Comment

Working...
              X