No text in 3d games (Matrox)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No text in 3d games (Matrox)

I got a Matrox G450 PCI card with 32mb ram to replace an old Ati Rage - to get a decent resolution, plus 2d and 3d acceleration.

Using latest mga (1.4.9) and supposedly latest drm (2.6.24.7, and mga drivers in general don't see a lot of changes) on Xorg 7.2. I have direct rendering working.
    Using XAA or EXA does not matter (though in EXA I see other corruption, likely due to early EXA in 7.2)

I see no text in games, see screenshot at:
    picamatic.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, picamatic.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This happens in some other games too, common factors being SDL and Mesa.

So, I've heard the early Ati binary drivers had this too, any hints? How did you solve it there?

Xorg bug report filed, number 17672

Comment

Do you use the binary hal?

xserver/7.0.0/mga_hal_drv.so

Copied into same dir as mga_drv.so from your install, usually

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers

Comment

No, should I?
        The manpage mentions the DVI output, and I know it has Macrovision, and I only need the VGA.

I did try to compile Matrox's official driver, but being for Xorg 7.0, it wouldn't compile.

Edit: I also would strongly prefer not to use binary drivers.

Comment

Then buy motherboard with intel vga onboard and don't use matrox

Comment

Do you have some insight on what does the blob do, besides DVI and crippling tv-out?

Cause that'd be nice to know, instead of a snide remark about Intel

Comment

Well, just for you hon, I tried both the HAL blob and the full blob.
              Results:

HAL did not get loaded at all with OSS mga. Not even when explicitly saying "NoHAL" "false".

The full binary did get X up, and load the HAL, but without DRI. So I couldn't test the Matrox binary for this bug, as Mesa software rendering does not have it.

Comment

I have the same problems with g450 pci.
                Compiling latest code from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-mga made things slightly better.
                Using mga_hal via the drivers provided by //http://projects.tuxx-home.at/mga/drivers/latest/ didn't help too much.
                If you want to try them though have a look in the howto section at
                http://forum.tuxx-home.at/
                on how to use and install them.
                Also in my case the Videoram of the card was detected erraticly.
                Using the driver from git and setting VideoRam in xorg.conf made the problem nearly vanish. 3d performance is still very bad though.

Comment

Thanks for your response. What do you mean with nearly vanished?
                  Are there still letters missing for example?

Comment

Letters in etrcacer are looking normal now, but still some gliches with some of the screensavers. And any games are still too slow to play and often make X crash (or at least unresponsive).

Comment

Working...
                    X