Building a new desktop: hardware advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new desktop: hardware advice

I am building a new desktop machine for home use (no gaming, but we will output DVD and MPEG movies to the TV). I would appreciate the Phoronix community's opinion regarding my hardware selection, as this is the first non-MS machine that I am building. I have tried to select components known to work with Linux in general, these are the components:

Athlon 64 5200+

Asus M3A board

(we need both IDE and SATA, as my current 500GB hard drives are IDE)

2 GB Kingston Value memory

One of these video cards:

I am leaning towards the second card because of the quiet fanless design, but I am a bit concerned about a fanless card. It also mentions OpenGL 2.0 compliance, which sounds good.

Optiarc AD-7200S DVD?RW sata DVD burner

This machine will likely flip flop between Debian and Fedora about once per year, with the occasional test drive of a different distro. I am on a budget, so I tried to cut corners but not too many. Any advice and suggestions regarding the hardware mentioned are much appreciated. Thanks.

ok, well first off, i'd look at integrating as much as you can in to the board if your looking for linux.

Biostar TFORCE TA790GX3 A2+ which has the following ready to go.
    • HDMI, DVI and VGA built in.
    • Radeon HD3300 video card w/ built in video memory ( 128mb )
    • completely fanless.
    • 2x 16X pci express slots and 2x 1X Pci express ( both are v2.0 )

as for the network, it's gigabit and has good linux support ( you can pick up the driver from http://www.realtek.com.tw/ )
    similar story with the sound card... also made by realtek.

Comment

If your going a ATI based chipset for a MB I would recommend switching that optical drive to a parallel based one instead of a Sata based drive and purchase some IDE --> Sata converters for your harddrives. Sata+Optical= can result in really weird issues ranging from drives not showing up to disappearing. Given ATI's southbridge Sata issues, the safest route would be to go with a ATA optical.

Comment

Working...
      X