Unreal Tournament 3 Running On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... FINALLY getting to see Linux version. Damn, I wish I knew what in the F*** it was that delayed it nearly a year.
    Maybe you can ask him. Developer to developer. Since he says "you won't believe the reason for the delay", you're on a better level than most to actually believe it.
    I'm betting it was problems with GCC 4.2/4.3 and OpenMP.

Comment

While it is good to see UT3 on both Mac and Linux, and most likely I will buy it when it is available, and when I have the money to spare, the whole attitude from Epic toward the Linux delay leaves much to be desired... However, the single fact that ti is coming, and now there's some sort of "evidence" is indeed good news (for Linux gaming at large). I no longer like very much shooter games, but I'm sure I'll get a few hours of fun with this title (I know I like the game, I've played it on the PS3 already). Hopefully Epic will keep statistics on both, in-game OS tracking and client downloads statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Ah yes, take a windows snapshot of UT3 in windows, apply a little Gimp magic and bang....

UT3 on RISCOS 4!!! ETA..... When it's done.....
        LoL! You beat me too it! I was thinking of grabbing <random ut3 shot> and gimping it up for <insert os here>.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
          Hopefully Epic will keep statistics on both, in-game OS tracking and client downloads statistics.
          Client download statistics aren't a good way to track how many users are getting the file.

I host a podcast for a friend, and I keep archives of his episodes, including syncing them to my ipod (that's two downloads for one person right there, without going into the problems I had with my feeder re-downloading every podcast every week! (problems will arise forcing one to start the feed fresh)), coupled with the fact that most of them I have to download, repack, and reupload...

Then there's the fact that gaming mirrors will download and redistribute it themselves...

Client download statistics do not work. It may give a rough idea, but it's inherently and critically flawed.
          Last edited by me262; 19 September 2008, 03:00 AM. Reason: Added the quote. This topic's all a buzz.

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
            Maybe you can ask him. Developer to developer. Since he says "you won't believe the reason for the delay", you're on a better level than most to actually believe it.
            Heh... I only wish. I asked him about 5 months ago what was up. No answer.

I'm betting it was problems with GCC 4.2/4.3 and OpenMP.
            Riiight.

Comment

Svartalf:
              More likely just too busy.
              What do you find are the most time consuming things at LGP?

Comment

Heh... I only wish. I asked him about 5 months ago what was up. No answer.
                Although 5 months ago he didn't have those screenshots.
                Beat around the bush. "Any tips to avoid the problem you had with UT3?" He can say what to avoid, without having to reveal exactly what the problem was.

Riiight.
                Just saying, it's probably something off the wall...

Comment

If everyone expects a lot they will get disappointed. To overcome this, small pieces of information are leaked out to keep interest up. While at the same time not disappointing any of those people waiting for the next best thing since gnu sliced bread.

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
                    Client download statistics aren't a good way to track how many users are getting the file.

I host a podcast for a friend, and I keep archives of his episodes, including syncing them to my ipod (that's two downloads for one person right there, without going into the problems I had with my feeder re-downloading every podcast every week! (problems will arise forcing one to start the feed fresh)), coupled with the fact that most of them I have to download, repack, and reupload...

Then there's the fact that gaming mirrors will download and redistribute it themselves...

Client download statistics do not work. It may give a rough idea, but it's inherently and critically flawed.
                    I was thinking more of how Fedora keeps track of "individual" users by logging anonymously the unique IPs of clients getting updates. Sure that may leave behind several "users" behind a router or firewall and make "them" appear as only one client, but sure enough is more reliable than no tracking at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      I was thinking more of how Fedora keeps track of "individual" users by logging anonymously the unique IPs of clients getting updates. Sure that may leave behind several "users" behind a router or firewall and make "them" appear as only one client, but sure enough is more reliable than no tracking at all.
                      The game might want you to register a user account ala steam?

Comment

Working...
                      X