Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same problem with new catalyst 8.9

Hi to all,
    I have a problem with these new drivers: X server crashes. You can see my last post on Unofficial ATI Linux Driver Bugzilla site (Comment #133): http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=239#c133.
    Currently I'm using catalyst 8.4 (fglrx 8.47.3), which is the last version without this annoying bug. But I'd like to use the new drivers since it has been solved many other bugs and adding new important features important in the last months. Maybe should I submit a ticket to ATI? This bug remains unsolved from 3 years, it seems a desperate case.

Scorpion77

I tried catalyst 8.9 with openSUSE 11.0, and it works fine. So I think it could be a problem with the kernel configuration, but what parameter should I change or add to recompile the kernel to work also with Slackware?

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion77 View Post
      I tried catalyst 8.9 with openSUSE 11.0, and it works fine. So I think it could be a problem with the kernel configuration, but what parameter should I change or add to recompile the kernel to work also with Slackware?
      I would save the kernel config file for both slackware and suse and then compare the DRI sections.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        I would save the kernel config file for both slackware and suse and then compare the DRI sections.
        Thanks for the help. Meanwhile I tried to compare the kernel configuration files, but I can't find the section DRI. I checked the "Graphics support" and "Frame buffer hardware drivers" sections, but I haven't noticed differences about ATI graphics cards. Perhaps you are more experienced and you can find the difference that creates the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion77 View Post
          Thanks for the help. Meanwhile I tried to compare the kernel configuration files, but I can't find the section DRI. I checked the "Graphics support" and "Frame buffer hardware drivers" sections, but I haven't noticed differences about ATI graphics cards. Perhaps you are more experienced and you can find the difference that creates the problem.

Actually, the graphics support was what I was meaning, (was in an other os and couldn't recall the correct naming of the section off hand). The next thing I suppose I would look at is the CPU section (scheduler and acpi sections).

Comment

I made other test, as before I tried openSUSE 11.0 for 64 bit systems. Now I tried with the 32 bit version, and there's the same problem with Slackware 12.1. It's obvious it's a bug of the Catalyst 8.9 for 32 bit systems as the same drivers for 64 bit systems work perfectly.

Thanks to all those who helped me.

Scorpion77

Comment

I have to pile on with "me too" post. Here's my configuration:
              Radeon HD2400
              kernel-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.x86_64 & kernel-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64
              Catalyst 8.9 from livna: xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.532-2.8.09.lvn9.x86_64, etc.

As you can see, I'm running Fedora 9 with Xorg from Fedora 8. With fglrx 8.532, X keeps trying to start over and over again. I don't see anything wrong in /var/log/Xorg.0.log except for crash at the end:
              Code:
              Backtrace:
              0: /usr/bin/Xorg(xf86SigHandler+0x6d) [0x47e8cd]
              1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x3e230322a0]
              2: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//drivers/fglrx_drv.so(atiddxDisplayShadowIsShadowPixmap+0x16) [0x321be86]
              3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//glesx.so [0x1a42503]
              4: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libxaa.so(XAAComposite+0x1a0) [0x17f77e0]
              5: /usr/bin/Xorg [0x52cebd]
              6: /usr/bin/Xorg [0x529268]
              7: /usr/bin/Xorg [0x5165ef]
              8: /usr/bin/Xorg(Dispatch+0x1db) [0x44a53b]
              9: /usr/bin/Xorg(main+0x465) [0x4332b5]
              10: /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfa) [0x3e2301e32a]
              11: /usr/bin/Xorg(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x259) [0x432579]

Fatal server error:
              Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
              My current solution is to roll back to fglrx 8.512 (Catalyst 8.6?). Does anyone know what's going on here?

Comment

Me too, too

Same problem here running an FC8 system. X1200 (690G)

8-3, 8-5, 8-8 worked. (Although only 8-3 works well ...)

Tried it with both a 2.6.24 and 2.6.26 kernel.
                Last edited by veysey; 08 October 2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Interesting data point

Here's something I found.

I can launch a very simple X session (xinit). It works, things start.

But as soon as I start any application (e.g. xclock) that has a gui, X crashes with the above error.

Bizarre.

Comment

Your problem is

Your problem is in your xorg.conf file, I also had the problem and solved this way: put the following line or modify it if your already have it (you have to do this from a terminal as root)
                    Under Device Section
                    Option "TexturedXRender" "False"

then run aticonfig --tls=on to commit the changes to PCS. Then start X, I can asure you that it solved the same crash with me.

Comment

Working...
                    X