Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Release notes: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206..._89_linux.html

Come on ATi, support my 3870x2 already... the thing's price has already halved from when I bought it in April so put that profit to good use!

Comment

Woohoo! I broke my linux server at home last night with a pvmove that went awry, but it's almost fully back up and running - now to break the workstation with this

Good to see there's a lot of "under the hood" fixes for stuff involving screen corruption.

Comment

Anyone notice any changes when it comes to full screen corruption (the dreaded checkerboard)? For me, full screen native apps did NOT have any issues in 8.8, but wine apps and flash full screen videos (e.g. YouTube) did have problems. In 8.9, wine has been fixed, but flash remains a problem. I did not have any full screen corruption problems with any of these several months ago (forgot what Catalyst that was, though), so this is probably a problem with the drivers and not the flash plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by LOLatMS View Post
          Anyone notice any changes when it comes to full screen corruption (the dreaded checkerboard)? For me, full screen native apps did NOT have any issues in 8.8, but wine apps and flash full screen videos (e.g. YouTube) did have problems. In 8.9, wine has been fixed, but flash remains a problem. I did not have any full screen corruption problems with any of these several months ago (forgot what Catalyst that was, though), so this is probably a problem with the drivers and not the flash plugin.
          My screen corruption problems appear to be solved. It affected mostly wine apps, but there were some native apps that exhibited the problem as well. For instance, the loading screen of nexuiz. I don't have any problem with flash at all. If you use Ubuntu, try enabling backports, which will install a newer (possibly beta) version of flash player.

Comment

i must say that's the most impressive fglrx changelog i've seen in months. assuming that all the mentioned problems are really resolved.

? A fatal server error no longer occurs when changing the display resolution using Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition and restarting X. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37419

? Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition: Clicking on the 3D leaf in Page Tree no longer results in 3D Page Tree failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37425

? Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition: A green box at the bottom of the page the TV and Position page is no longer displayed. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37426

? Default buttons are no longer available in the Catalyst Control Center for driver options that do not have custom settings available. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37427

? HDMI Audio support for the Linux Operating system is now available for the ATI Radeon HD 3100/3200 series of products. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37420

? Hot plugging a digital panel to an ATI Radeon HD 46x0 series product no longer results in the digital panel failing to become active. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37421

? X-Windows no longer fails to launch after the driver installation for the ATI Radeon HD 4870 product. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37422

? Rebooting the system after completing the driver installation no longer results in X failing to re-start on systems containing an ATI FireGL V7700 series of product. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37431

? X no longer fails to respond when shutting down in dual head mode. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37430

? The entire X desktop including the mouse cursor is no longer choppy during playback of video files or suzi test app. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37423

? The TV size and position adjusting sliders are no longer missing on systems running Linux. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37424

? Running aticonfig –initial –f on a system with two display devices connected no longer results in dual head mode failing to function. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37438

? Automatic post install configuration is now functioning. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37441

? Corruption is no longer noticed on the Linux Desktop when moving an application or browser window. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37439

? Logging out one of multiple users no longer results in X failing to display an image. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37440

? Connecting an HDMI display device may result in the audio failing to be heard. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37428

? Connecting both a CRT and DFP display device no longer results in the CRT failing to display an image if the DFP is disconnected and then reconnected to the system. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37429

? The resolutions of 540p and 1080p @ 60Hz no longer fail to be added to the Display Manager list of resolutions when they are selected from HDTV -> Formats. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37435

? Connecting an HDMI display device and connecting an HDMI cable from the graphics card to the display device no longer results in audio failing. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37436

? Closing fgl_glxgears or glxgears via the toolkit “X” in a multi-head dual-head environment no longer results in a segmentation fault. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37432

? Running textured video on systems running Linux no longer results in a segmentation fault. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37433

? GLESX: An unresolved symbol error is no longer noticed in the XOrg log. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37442

? Playing rotyov no longer results in the system response time becoming slow on SLES10.2. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37443

? Doom 3: The performance gap between Windows XP and Linux no longer increases when CrossFire is enabled. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37434

? Doom3: Enabling clone mode and setting the display resolution to 1280x1024 no longer results in corruption being noticed. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37437
            if each fglrx release will get that much attention i can see bright future for linux proprietary ati driver.

than again, the regression list looks quite scary.
            Last edited by yoshi314; 18 September 2008, 03:24 AM.

Comment

I still have an error on closing glx_gears. In combination with millions of errors reported when using valgrind (memory leak checker) on glxgears. Besides that, glxinfo hanged (no error, it just hangs). This happened only on one of my computers (which uses dual screen on a AMD 3450 with two X screens), my other computer (HD 4870, single screen) does not hang with glxinfo.

Other things I still have to try, I didn't have time for that. For example, with 8.8 I got screen corruption when using Blender in windowed mode (full screen: no problems). I didn't have time yet to test this with 8.9.

[edit]
              Tested blender: screen corruption is less bad as with 8.8, but it still blackens my Gnome panels (panels on top and bottom of screen turn black, when you use the menu, the part of the panel which is used turn normal again.
              [/edit]
              Last edited by Heiko; 18 September 2008, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsume View Post
                Come on ATi, support my 3870x2 already... the thing's price has already halved from when I bought it in April so put that profit to good use!
                What he said. They just got xfire, get on with xfireX already(or whatever's needed) It's the only reason i'm in Vista atm...

Comment

Undefined symbols may be noticed when trying to load fglrx on Ubuntu 8.10. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37447
                  So still no xserver 1.5 support?

Comment

Originally posted by debunk
                    Great to see they fixed the checkerboard of death, but I now get a black screen when launching all hl2 games I own (hl2, ep1 and 2 and portal). If I disable pixel shaders in winecfg I do get visible output the startup screen, but the game exits and a popup appears telling me the game needs at least directx 8.0. I tried setting dxlevel to 80, 81 and 90, but I keep getting the same error.
                    I'll try tweaking the wine registry when I have time later on today to see if I can fix it.
                    Nevermind, I forgot to reboot after I installed the new drivers.

I'll delete the original post but leave this reply here in case anyone else is as dumb as I am

Comment

Working...
                    X