No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With your kernel you can use -v 8-5 too. that Has got no wine problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
      If i'm right, the best xorg.conf is the minimal one doing the most throught the driver db... so xorg.conf shouldn't be that much important right now.
      LOL, true, that's what I'm usually using anyway. Although I have the xv overlay enabled in xorg.conf. As it is, I CAN have flicker-free/tear-free playback using opengl and disabling compiz, however, I'd like the xv extension fixed and not having to disable compiz all the time.

Comment

Unfortunately, this driver butchered my dual screen setup. No problem, I thought, let's try out that fancy new RandR 1.2 support. Well, apparently, Firefox didn't like that:

All other applications don't have this problem, not even Thunderbird. Maybe it's related to the cairo rendering backend.

I hope AMD will fix this "little" rendering glitch before officially announcing randr1.2 support

Comment

I have now opened bug reports on ati.cchtml.com for the new bugs I get with Catalyst 8.9:
          Alt+Tab from fullscreen Wine 3D app broken
          Killing fullscreen 3D app from VT-1 corrupts screen
          windows not redrawn when exiting fullscreen Kaffeine (OpenGL output)

Comment

Is anyone seeing random GCC crashes (other then me) when compiling wine-1.0 from source (or other large projects) with the new 8.9 catalyst driver installed? I can confirm this does not happen on my config when the 8.9 catalyst driver is removed and the fglrx 8.37.6 driver is installed. Here's my hw/sw config:

SAPPHIRE ATI 9600XT 128MB AGP (8x)
            CRT 19" monitor: Philips 109B (109B10) with a resolution of 1600x1200 or 1280x1024
            Motherboard: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe/ VIA K8T800 & VIA VT8237
            Processor type: AMD64 3000+
            Amount of memory: 1GB
            Distro used: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (32-bit) with latest patches applied.

Comment

Slow 2D

Hello,

2D remains slow with this version on 3870 and dual-head, X Server 1.4.2 (with AIGLX).

I tried all combinations of driver options in xorg.conf and even updated to kernel 2.6 27-rc7 (needed to patch firegl_public.c).

Especially Firefox is horribly slow. This affects (flawlessly) running video playback (via mplayer/opengl): The image stands still while scrolling. I observed very high cpu utilization on one core. Same problem with many other apps.

OpenGL works without problems.
              Are there any helping global X server tweaks?
              Is this a known problem? Is ATI working to solve it?

Best Regards,

Marco

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                With your kernel you can use -v 8-5 too. that Has got no wine problems.
                I just tried installing 8-5 with your script, but I've got into all sorts of troubles:

1st Instead of Debian/testing it installed a ubuntu version
                2nd I can't remove this version:

Code:
                # apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree       
                Reading state information... Done
                The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                The following packages will be REMOVED:
                  xorg-driver-fglrx
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 35 not upgraded.
                1 not fully installed or removed.
                After this operation, 44.0MB disk space will be freed.
                Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
                (Reading database ... 243339 files and directories currently installed.)
                Removing xorg-driver-fglrx ...
                dpkg-divert: mismatch on divert-to
                  when removing `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'
                  found `diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'
                dpkg: error processing xorg-driver-fglrx (--remove):
                 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
                Errors were encountered while processing:
                 xorg-driver-fglrx
                Updating Debian Packages of System Configurations (dpsyco).
                E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

Well you can remove it with the script as it has the hotfix integrated. If you want to do that manually do:

sed -i 'sX> /dev/nullX||trueX' /var/lib/dpkg/info/xorg-driver-fglrx.postrm

My script downloads dkms (updated url yesterday, before it might be broken for Debian) then the Ubuntu debs can be used. Latest script can use -v8-9 on 64 bit already. Working on the rest. dkms is nice when you switch kernels, then you always get the correct fglrx module - also you can trigger patches based on kernel version.
                  Last edited by Kano; 23 September 2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well you can remove it with the script as it has the hotfix integrated. If you want to do that manually do:

sed -i 'sX> /dev/nullX||trueX' /var/lib/dpkg/info/xorg-driver-fglrx.postrm

My script downloads dkms (updated url yesterday, before it might be broken for Debian) then the Ubuntu debs can be used. Latest script can use -v8-9 on 64 bit already. Working on the rest. dkms is nice when you switch kernels, then you always get the correct fglrx module - also you can trigger patches based on kernel version.
                    How do I use your script to remove drivers? (the help function doesn't show this).

Comment

• Well you can not directly remove only, but when you install another driver the old one is uninstalled.

Comment

Working...
                      X