Vlc 0.9.2/fglrx 8.52.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlc 0.9.2/fglrx 8.52.3

I just installed VLC 0.9.2 from source onto Ubuntu 8.04 running with the FGLRX 8.52.3 driver. Set video output to X11 and fired up an .iso of a video DVD. Left Compiz (Visual Effects) enabled.

No flashing/blinking. No tearing. Windowed video is smooth and stable. Full screen playback is smooth with no tearing/blinking/flashing. I can drag the video window around the desktop and it both wobbles and continues to play the video without any silliness.

Me happy.

Hardware is an HD 3870, if that makes any difference.

Could the "tearing" and flashing issues have been player related all along?

they arent related to the player.. its related to the Xserver and will be fixed with DRI2. Maybe VLC implemented a workaround to disable this flicker (like the mplayer compiz patch does)

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
      I just installed VLC 0.9.2 from source onto Ubuntu 8.04 running with the FGLRX 8.52.3 driver. Set video output to X11 and fired up an .iso of a video DVD. Left Compiz (Visual Effects) enabled.

No flashing/blinking. No tearing. Windowed video is smooth and stable. Full screen playback is smooth with no tearing/blinking/flashing. I can drag the video window around the desktop and it both wobbles and continues to play the video without any silliness.

Me happy.

Hardware is an HD 3870, if that makes any difference.

Could the "tearing" and flashing issues have been player related all along?
      X11 is software output and always worked with compiz for me.

I do still see vsync issues with it though, but how noticeable it is depends on the content.

ftp://ftp.tek.com/tv/test/streams/El...5/bbc3_060.m2v

shows lack of vsync really well - it also looks horrible unless you deinterlace it.

Comment

hmm didnt notice X11.. X11 is never problematic regardless of player.. Try enabling Xv and watch the tearing start

Comment

Ah...now I see.

But, X11 works fine for what I need. I think I'll stay with it for now.

Comment

Working...
          X