Adobe Air Beta out now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Air Beta out now

Previously it was an Alpha, this time it's a Beta. It actually installed on my 64bit Ubuntu.

This Labs release of AIR has all features implemented for Linux, except support for DRM and badge installations. Major new features include support for system tray icons, keyboard shortcuts, localization, internationalized input (IME support), filetype registration, SWF and PDF in HTML, multi-monitor support, fullscreen mode, encrypted local storage, support for V4L2 cameras and printing.
    When asked about why wasn't DRM implemented yet,

DRM will be implemented before the final release. Whether or not DRM is welcome by Linux users, we're eager to know.
    Heh, so naive...

I dont think it's naivette, its more of a "whether linux users will put up a fight or not, we'll see" kinda thing.

Comment

Obviously the loud ones will... and the ones that simply use their computer for doing things and not evangelize will realize that app A won't work without it, so might as well.

Though, so far, I haven't seen any apps in the "" that require it.

Imho, this is simply fantastic. It's cross-platform, and they mean it - you build your app for AIR, not for an OS. Then you can easily claim that it works on Windows, Mac and Linux without any additional work.

Flash applets beat out Java ones, and it looks like they might repeat it on the desktop too. Air apps are fast, don't abuse cpu (odd, but they really don't), and work great.

Comment

This is great news! And now, I won't complain about DRM, in fact I will only complain if they do *not* include it, as some apps may not run without.

Comment

Well there is nothing wrong with DRM per se, but if the DRM prevents you from doing things that you should be allowed to do, or is badly implemented and leads to performance issues, then yes it will be a problem.

Anyway, IIRC Acrobat Reader on linux supports DRM and no one batted an eye-lid. Why would this be any different? This is not comparable to libdvdcss so there is no issue.

Comment

Well there is nothing wrong with DRM per se, but if the DRM prevents you from doing things that you should be allowed to do, or is badly implemented and leads to performance issues, then yes it will be a problem.

Anyway, IIRC Acrobat Reader on linux supports DRM and no one batted an eye-lid. Why would this be any different? This is not comparable to libdvdcss so there is no issue.

Comment

Working...
            X