Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Brings Chromium To Linux

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Brings Chromium To Linux

Chroimum, the open-source code that powers the Google Chrome web-browser, is now available to Linux (and Mac OS) X users in a binary package. Though this support isn't coming natively, but instead CodeWeavers (the company behind CrossOver Office and CrossOver Games) is using WINE...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We have Firefox and Konqueror thank you very much.

Comment

Sweet! More choice!

Got it installed; I'll be trying it out.

Comment

According to a co-worker, it works, but it's "dog slow" compared to the native version under Windows. I'll be pulling a copy tomorrow up at work to see for myself, so we'll see.

Comment

Question is, why the hell on earth do we need a friggin Winapi simulator to run a web browser?

They would shame to death only if they really KNOW what they are doing. Get a native port or get the hell out of the way
          Last edited by FunkyRider; 16 September 2008, 12:27 AM.

Comment

it does seem kind of sluggish. and where did my font antialiasing go?

Comment

Hope Google actually rolls out a native version for Linux and Mac OS X, and it's not just the "we are working on it" crap like we heard from Gtalk. <one of my angsts is that voice chat on gtalk still doesnt work on Linux/OS X>

Comment

i can't get it to work with proxy. so much for testing :/

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
                  Hope Google actually rolls out a native version for Linux and Mac OS X, and it's not just the "we are working on it" crap like we heard from Gtalk. <one of my angsts is that voice chat on gtalk still doesnt work on Linux/OS X>
                  I thought Google already open sourced the Gtalk protocol (Jingle)? For the past few months, I've been using Empathy to voice chat with my mother, who uses Gtalk on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
                    I thought Google already open sourced the Gtalk protocol (Jingle)? For the past few months, I've been using Empathy to voice chat with my mother, who uses Gtalk on Windows.
                    I don't know that it was ever really that closed, but yes Gooogle Talk uses open protocols XMPP (IETF Standard formerly known as Jabber) and Jingle (a Proposed IETF extension to XMPP designed by Google and the XMPP Standards Foundation for Peer to Peer things like VOIP, Video and file transfers).

Since Google already has a client out and Jingle is not formalized it would seem possible that its implementation could differ from what the current proposal is. Google does, however, provide libjingle on Google Code and supporting documentation. So making a client compatible with Google's services should be easy right?

Comment

Working...
                    X