No announcement yet.

Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that IceWeasel is the most popular choice. 99 for IceWeasel vs -75 for Firefox.

Last edited by Mithrandir; 15 September 2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Debian has undergone the rebranding path time ago, although for more fundamental reasons than people getting annoyed at an EULA (quite rightly, in my opinion). To repeat what others have said, the only thing they have to do, as well as the simplest, is to adopt Iceweasel and move Firefox to contrib or whatever repository.

"Ubuntu Web Browser"...well, you'll realize how ridiculous this is if you think about "Gentoo Web Browser", "Mepis Web Browser" or "FreeBSD Web Browser"...

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
        Debian has undergone the rebranding path time ago, although for more fundamental reasons than people getting annoyed at an EULA (quite rightly, in my opinion). To repeat what others have said, the only thing they have to do, as well as the simplest, is to adopt Iceweasel and move Firefox to contrib or whatever repository.

"Ubuntu Web Browser"...well, you'll realize how ridiculous this is if you think about "Gentoo Web Browser", "Mepis Web Browser" or "FreeBSD Web Browser"...
        I think this is bigger issue than anyone realizes. The next thing you know, there'll be a big EULA every times you launch any program for the first time and it'll be annoying and defeat part of the point of using linux. Nobody's gonna read that damn thing, all it will do is annoy people. Yeah, fine, they have certain rights w/ regard to firefox, its logo, etc. Well, they don't go away if everyone is inconvenience by mindlessly clicking yes like a zombie.

Comment

I present you Newbie McWindows. He is a windows user. He knows firefox.
          He heard about that ubuntu stuff and decides to try it.

After some little problems, he get it installed.

'I need a browser' thinks Newbie. 'I have firefox on windows and I know it works with that lunux stuff too.'
          1) no firefox:
          'but where is it?' Iceanimal? Never heart of! Lunix sucks!'

2) firefox+eula
          'oh well. like in windows *click*'

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            Why put the OS in front of the type? Why not say "Web Browser" or something like this, as gcalctool is called "Calculator" and so on?
            I'll second that. And add in a comment that addressed this very issue, albeit on the other OS:
            Originally posted by www.hanselman.com
            Then look at the apps. Why does the start menu come up with a load of apps down the left with names that all start Windows. I know I'm in Windows. You don't need to waste all the screen real estate telling me.
            Original here.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              I present you Newbie McWindows. He is a windows user. He knows firefox.
              He heard about that ubuntu stuff and decides to try it.

After some little problems, he get it installed.

'I need a browser' thinks Newbie. 'I have firefox on windows and I know it works with that lunux stuff too.'
              1) no firefox:
              'but where is it?' Iceanimal? Never heart of! Lunix sucks!'

2) firefox+eula
              'oh well. like in windows *click*'
              'I need a browser' programs->internet->web browser 'hey this looks like Firefox'

I don't use Ubuntu, but usually programs were named by they function. In any case, that is exactly the reason they would leave Firefox in the repo to be installed. I have another possible thought for the newbie.

'No web browser?' "Hey Joe, when you told me to try this Ubuntu, you didn't mention there wouldn't be a browser."

or

'need browser... mozilla.com' (windows user remember?)

Comment

ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/iceweasel

Simple solution to all problems I think debian has done such a thing coz when i type firefox, iceweasel launches flawlessly.

Comment

You don't need that symlink. You can execute iceweasel with firefox or even mozilla.

Comment

You don't need that symlink. You can execute iceweasel with firefox or even mozilla.
                    mozilla executes Iceape (Seamonkey), while firefox launches Iceweasel. And I would thought that this is just because they are symlinked upon installation.

Comment

Well when you install iceape then you can chose it with:

update-alternatives --config mozilla

Comment

Working...
                      X